Skip to main content

Do I need my husbands consent to tie my tubes?

Homestead, FL |
Filed under: Pregnancy

I am currently pregnant with my second child, both times have been extremely difficult on the babies and myself. My first baby was born with a birth defect, and my current baby has sent me to the E.R. various times for different reasons. My due date is next month, and i am seriously considering getting my tubes tied. I am also married, but at the time separated from my husband. Can he sue, if I continue with my decision to have the procedure done?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


There is no lawsuit available in Florida or anywhere in the U.S. for anyone, including your husband, to sue you for having your tubes tied. Your body is your own, and it remains your own even if you get married. You are not even required to tell your husband that you are considering the procedure. If you don't want to risk another pregnancy , that's your business. In the meantime, I hope your current pregnancy goes well from this point forward, and that your child is born happy and healthy.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me for a free consultation at 813-635-0222. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!


No, your husband cannot sue because you decide to have your "tubes tied". That is your decision, even if your husband doesn't support it. Good luck!

You may contact Ms. Brown at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.


No, you do not need his consent to have this procedure performed.


Your husband can't sue you for having a tubal ligation. I hope you have a happy and healthy birth!

Legal disclaimer: Ms. Braaten's answer to your question does not establish an attorney client relationship, but rather is meant to share knowledge with the general public. For specific advise on your case, you need to consult one on one with an family law attorney.

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer