Do I need my husbands consent to tie my tubes?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Homestead, FL

I am currently pregnant with my second child, both times have been extremely difficult on the babies and myself. My first baby was born with a birth defect, and my current baby has sent me to the E.R. various times for different reasons. My due date is next month, and i am seriously considering getting my tubes tied. I am also married, but at the time separated from my husband. Can he sue, if I continue with my decision to have the procedure done?

1. Brent Allan Rose

1

Best Answer

Answered . There is no lawsuit available in Florida or anywhere in the U.S. for anyone, including your husband, to sue you for having your tubes tied. Your body is your own, and it remains your own even if you get married. You are not even required to tell your husband that you are considering the procedure. If you don't want to risk another pregnancy , that's your business. In the meantime, I hope your current pregnancy goes well from this point forward, and that your child is born happy and healthy.

2. Gregory Thomas Buckley

Pro

Answered . No, you do not need his consent to have this procedure performed.

3. Arica Lynn Braaten

Pro

Answered . Your husband can't sue you for having a tubal ligation. I hope you have a happy and healthy birth!

4. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

Answered . No, your husband cannot sue because you decide to have your "tubes tied". That is your decision, even if your husband doesn't support it. Good luck!