Do I need my full tax return or just W2s to include with immigration form I-864?

Asked over 3 years ago - Jersey City, NJ

I am a US citizen and my husband is European, applying for a Greencard. I haven't done my taxes for 2010 yet, do I need to include my full 2010 tax return or just my W2s with form I-864? I am including my full tax returns for 2009 and 2008. We would like to send the immigration forms in as soon as possible, but should we wait until after I meet with my accountant (in early April) and can include the full 2010 return?

Thank you.

1. Ala M. Hamayel

Answered . You need the tax returns and W2 for the most recent tax year. The other tax years are optional. I think you should wait until you file your taxes because you may get a request for evidence if you do not submit the 2010 tax returns.

This information is general and not intended as legal advice. I am not your attorney.

2. Ralf D. Wiedemann

Answered . You can submit the 2009 and 2008 tax returns and W-2s, and the 2010 W-2 now. Once you have filed the 2010 tax return, you will submit a copy of that too. Depending on how your husband is applying for permanent residence, he will either submit the up-to-date documentation at the adjustment of status interview, or at the consulate for the immigrant visa interview.