Do I need Immigration Lawyer!?

I am planning to apply for US green card through my wife. I am currently on J1 visa working as a postdoc scholar and my wife is a dental residence . Even though my wife is American, she lived her whole life in Toronto so she never filed US taxes. I was wondering if that would cause any troubles with my green card application? Also we both are paid from where we work although not much!!

1. Not necessarily. What your wife probably needs is a joint sponsor for the affidavit of support.

Please click the link below for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

2. I agree with Mr. Shusterman ... she will need a co-sponsor.

Plus, she will need to prove that she's moving back to the US.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

3. I agree with my colleagues. A co-sponsor will be needed.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.MyImmigrationLawyer.info NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

4. I agree with my colleagues.

Any and all responses to this and any other questions are intended for basic informational purposes only and are not legal advice.