Do I need Immigration attorney? My mother visa expired but I filed I-130 petition 1 month prior which is approved as of Mar 28?

My mother visa expired on March 17 but I filed I-130 on February 11. My petition for I-130 is approved as I received I-797 which is dated March 28, 2013. Per the letter, I need to file I-485. However, when I read instruction on I-485, it says visa status has to be valid before I file I-485. Is she in trouble or Is it okay since I-130 petition was filed before her visa expired and her petition is also approved. Thanks in advance.

Sacramento, CA -

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

If you are a US citizen, file the I-485 immediately. She does not need to be in lawful status in order to adjust her status in the US.

Please click the link below for additional information.

---------
Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

Tripti Sharad Sharma

Tripti Sharad Sharma

Immigration Attorney - Newark, CA

File the I-485 along with the approved I-130 notice and send all supporting documents - birth certificate, medical, affidavit of support, etc. If you wish to do this yourself, read the instructions on the form carefully before you file.

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

Immigration Attorney - New York, NY

Just file the form. You are ok

J Charles Ferrari

J Charles Ferrari

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

That depends on how well you understand what is required. You have already made a critical mistake, as the I-485 could have been filed with the I-130.

Ingrid Arnalda Morfa

Ingrid Arnalda Morfa

Immigration Attorney - Orlando, FL

From your statement I assume that you are a US citizen. The fact that her visa expired will not be an issue. She will be able to adjust status. You should have filed the I-130 with the I-485, though. This would have made it a smoother and quicker process for you and your your mother.