Do I need DV Attorney?

Issaquah, WA |

My wife and my mom were in a disagreement for the past few days.My mom was visiting us frm India for 4 months.This morning heated argument between the two and wife scolded mom to go back to India..but my mom replied she wont leave as she is staying in her son's (myself) place. This statement made my wife anger and replied that she wont stay here anymore longer and she took our baby and was about to open to apartment door in order to go out. At that moment, my mom stopped her not to go out by grabbing her hand and unfortunately it ended up in a very small bruise on my wife's right wrist..but mom didn't wantedly hurt her, I beleve this could have been happened due to the gold bangles that she was wearing.Cops arrived and mom in Issaquah jail now.

We handle many cases of this nature, and it is always wise to at a minimum consult an attorney and more often than not to hire an experienced attorney who you are comfortable with handling such a matter.

Thanks much Daryl for your call and advice. My mom got released but was charged by prosecutor & Issaquah police..and was asked to come back tomorrow (Apr 25) 10am for "Pre-Trial Jury Conference". Also the court has asked the public defender to represent my mom..My mom had a interpreter as she speaks only Tamil, but my mom says she will explain more tomorrow and plead not guilty. Do you think this case would be dismissed tomorrow? or Do I need one more attorney than the public defender? Could you please call me on my cell: 612-481-5315 anytime after 8.30am...thanks much.

Besides the consequences that a US citizen would face if convicted of a crime involving domestic violence, your mother has additional problems involving her immigration status.

In general, persons who are not US citizen and are convicted of a crime involving domestic violence are deportable from the US. Besides being deported, your mother may face a lifetime ban on being admitted into the US for any reason.

So, your mother likely does need an attorney to advise and represent her. She may qualify for a public defender. She can also hire a private attorney.

Thanks much Thuong, what can I expect in court this afternoon? Can my wife & baby go with me today?

In short, the answer is yes, your mom should probably get an attorney. As Mr. Nguyen pointed out she is facing not just potential criminal charges but immigration issues as well. I don't know if she plans to remain in the US and, if so, how often she plans to return to visit, but a DV conviction can have huge consequences on these rights. Hopefully she will be released at first appearance but there may be a no contact order between her and your wife which will mean that she will need to find another place to stay right now. She's also going to want to resolve this case before she returns to India or a warrant may issue for her arrest meaning she may be arrested upon entering the country the next time she comes for a visit.