DO I NEED ATTORNEY FOR HIT AND RUN

Turlock, CA |

i HIT AND I RAN CAUSE I WAS NERVOUS I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. sO I LEFT

1. On the contrary, it's not necessarily just a misdemeanor. I'm going to be blunt with you, you might need a lawyer, but more importantly you need to immediately contact the police department in that area and report what happened. Under California Law, if you leave the scene of an accident before properly identifying yourself to the other parties involved it will, at the very least, be a misdemeanor offense, and if you injure or kill another person involved in the accident, it will be a felony offense. These laws apply to every automobile accident regardless of who is at fault, the amount of damage inflicted, or the seriousness of the injury. Listen, the penalties will range depending on the circumstances, but if you are honest with the police about what happened, there is a good chance your sentencing will be more lenient, whether that be through a fine or jail time. The onus is on us to be responsible to our fellow citizens, I encourage you to do the right thing. Good luck.

The information provided here is for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. Bergener & Associates, PLC is a personal injury practice serving accident victims and their families in the State of California only. No individuals should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any answers to questions without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice from an attorney licensed in their state. Transmission of information via this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between any attorney at Bergener & Associates and any recipient, nor is it intended to do so. The content provided does not create any warranty, express or implied. Hiring a lawyer to represent you is an important decision and should not be based solely on advertising.

2. Yes get an attorney ASAP. You may have been identified by license plate or otherwise. There may already be a warrant for your arrest. There may be injuries caused by your actions. Don't simply try to wait this out and hope nothing will happen. Be proactive; assume the worst hope for the best. Hire a criminal attorney ASAP. Do not talk to law enforcement (or anyone else about this matter). Don't get drunk and start yapping to your friendly neighbor that you just did a hit and run. That friendly neighbor can easily turn and become a friendly snitch. Best of luck.

3. You should get a criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible. You should also refrain from posting information about your case on a public forum.