Do I need areal estate attorney or a land use attorney?

Asked almost 2 years ago - San Francisco, CA

I have two lots in Russian Hill. One is a house (currently zoned as two units) and one is empty with small garage. I would like to sell the lot with the garage (with plans to develop) and keep the house. How do i determine if that is possible legally?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is a land use issue, but most real estate attorneys should be able to help you. Alternatively, you should be able to consult the planners at the city to find out what you need. In either case, you will likely need help from a local real estate/land use lawyer. This issue involves looking at the local zoning ordinances. I assume from your scenario that the garage services the house on the other lot. If so, you may need to build a garage on the lot you keep or get some sort of variance to permit the existing use if it is nonconforming. I am guessing that local ordinances require some sort of garage or car port. Check with the planning department and then consult a lawyer.

  2. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Check with your city zoning or planning department. You can also consult with a real estate attorney in your area.

  3. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Talk to the City planning department and they can inform you what regulations in your area will require. If they are not helpful consider hiring an land use attorney.

Related Topics


The term property refers to things a person can own or possess. There are two types: real property (real estate) and personal property (everything else).

Andrew Ben Boyer


On behalf of Andrew Boyer PC posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 Any divorce has the potential to be a massively complicated affair. Many Illinois couples spend months in court arguing... more

Residential property

Residential property is real estate that has been developed or zoned to be used for living, such as single family houses, apartments or mobile home parks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,873 answers this week

3,629 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,873 answers this week

3,629 attorneys answering