Do I need any type of permit or training certification to carry a tazer device? If I do, what papers should I carry on me?

Asked over 1 year ago - Calexico, CA

I randomly got punched when I was siting at a table eating. The girl and I fought after that. As soon as she let go I reached for the tazer in my purse and used it on her shoulder. The police came in and took my tazer away for eveidence. I told them it was self defense. They said I was very close to getting arrested because I needed a permit to have and use a tazer. I live in Imperial County, is it possible law are different here? Is there more to read than CA Penal code 22610?

1. Daphne Lori Macklin

Answered . I recommend that you consult with a civil rights attorney in your community as well as a criminal attorney about possible assault charges. There may be restrictions on the use of tazer type products under local county or city ordinances.

This is not a substitute for a consultation with a criminal law attorney in your community.