Do I need an personal injury accident attorney?

Dahlonega, GA |

My husband was hit head on by man who was charged with DUI (he was on prescription drugs that were his wife's ) we believe it totaled the car as well. My husband he suffering from severe head and neck aches now.

Your husband has an excellent case case as he can recover compensatory damages for his injuries as well as punitive damages based on the fact that the Defendant was DUI.

Andrew Lawrence Weitz

Andrew Lawrence Weitz

honest questions: are punies covered in Georgia? do most policies seek to exclude DUI liability?

Certainly hire a lawyer. They can help with steering you through the complicated hurdles insurance companies put up and punitive damages may be available against the drunk driver.

800-6-know-law
Jmp@knowthelawyer.com

Please CLICK the button if I HELPED or was BEST ANSWER. No attorney-client relationship is established and responses here are general first impressions. You should consult with a lawyer about your problems. More about our firm is located at www.knowthelawyer.com.

You should definitely retain an attorney because of the complicated situation DUI collisions create. You are entitled to special damages (called punitive damages) in many instances and those damages can be much greater than would otherwise be available. We settled a similar case recently, and the article I have linked to below outlines some of the essential steps in litigating a case involving a DUI collision. Do not talk to the insurance company until you have a lawyer, and make sure your husband gets proper medical treatment asap.

For more information, contact us at Fareesh@SarangiLaw.com or (770) 984-5380. The initial consultation is always free. This post is intended to provide general guidance, and should not be construed as legal advice. While I am an attorney, unless we sign a retainer agreement, I am not your attorney, and any information shared on Avvo does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it.

Fareesh S. Sarangi

Fareesh S. Sarangi

Thank you for marking this answer as helpful, and if there is anything I can answer for you, please don't hesitate to call me. Good luck

Yes, you certainly need a lawyer. As has been said, your husband may be entitled to both compensatory and punitive damages.

Seek immediate medical attention; if practical, document anything you can regarding injuries, property damage, and witness statements (especially with pictures and written statements); seek a referral to a qualified personal injury attorney for a free initial case evaluation; and retain counsel before you speak with the insurance company representing the other side.

This information is for general purposes and not intended to create the relationship of attorney-client. Readers should consult a qualified attorney in their area for proper advice in order to protect their legal rights. The author is licensed in the State of Georgia.

Yes. Retain one of the distinguished personal injury lawyers in your state above.

Yes you need an experienced GA personal injury lawyer. Even though the other driver caused the crash, his insurance company will not play fair with you unless you have an attorney to guide you through the process.

First of all, I am so sorry that this happened to you. I hope your husband is feeling better. Under the circumstances, yes, your husband should consult with an attorney. It's impossible at this point to know the full extent of your husband's injuries.

FIRST, get your husband to doctor or doctors immediately for proper diagnosis and treatment. THEN, hire a lawyer by going to the find a lawyer tab on Avvo and looking for a personal injury lawyer and/or an automobile accident lawyer. Interview a couple of lawyers--this can be on the phone or in person.

That said, exemplary damages, also called punitive damages, are almost always excluded from coverage in insurance policies (unless there is something in GA insurance law to the contrary, I would even feel comfortable saying they are always excluded). Please go into this soberly, with an eye toward what a realistic recovery might be. I have no stake in this--take my comments as coming from an outsider looking in. The liability in this case will go 100% against the defendant. Some carriers will seek to disclaim because the driver was DUI. Make sure your lawyer has dealt with this in the past. The next question is, how seriously injured is your husband? After that the question is, how much coverage does the defendant have and how much underinsured motorist coverage do you have? Does the defendant have assets that you would want to go after? Please don't delay in doing what needs to be done. I hope your husband feels better and I hope you find the right lawyer.

I am a co-author of WEITZ ON AUTOMOBILE LITIGATION: THE NO FAULT HANDBOOK. The opinions expressed in this answer are not intended to be taken as legal advice. These opinions are based on New York practice. I may be contacted at 212-553-9300.

Fareesh S. Sarangi

Fareesh S. Sarangi

While many states and policies exclude punitive damages, because of how GA law is written, most policies actually cover them to the liability limits.

Andrew Lawrence Weitz

Andrew Lawrence Weitz

that's great! that's why I put in the parenthetical.

Absolutely, the sooner the better. Head injuries are not something to fool around with.

We are currently handling a similar case to your husband's case right now and have previously represented folks with this very same fact pattern. While no two cases are identical I can tell you that based on experience you and your husband are in need of an attorney. Often times insurance companies exclude certain types of coverage when a DUI/narcotics are involved. A good lawyer can assist you and your husband with your case. My recommendation is to contact an experienced law firm that will give you a free consultation and case evaluation.

Getting straight answers from an insurance company in serious cases like your husband's can be like trying to grab a handful of water. So, yes, I do recommend that you retain an experienced attorney who has actually tried cases. There are all sorts of issues that need to be dealt with in this kind of case - getting pictures and doing a complete investigation, identifying all applicable insurance coverage, and, most importantly, making sure that your husband gets good treatment for his injuries. Sometimes folks can have head injuries that may not be obvious at first and they need to be thoroughly evaluated by a qualified Neurologist or other specialist. There are more than enough issues that will arise in your case to justify speaking with an attorney. I wish the best for you and your husband.

As my colleagues have said, it is recommended that you hire a car accident attorney who has knowledge and experience dealing with insurance companies. This will help in countless ways, whether it is advice as your husband's treatment progresses, whether to file a lawsuit or evaluation of your case from a settlement standpoint. Best of all, it costs you nothing unless there is a settlement and the attorney's office handles everything and does the talking for you, saving you time and trouble so you can focus on your husband's recovery and everything else you have going on. Hire an attorney soon and pass the work on to someone who's done this several times before with success.

*Attorney Thomas Andrew Miller (678-907-3600) provided this Reply which is intended to be helpful to the Asker and the Avvo Community, but it does not constitute legal advice and does not create any attorney-client relationship. You are urged to seek the advice of an attorney or, in some cases, a tax professional, before taking any action. **Was this Answer helpful? Please click to give the Answer a Helpful Vote or make it the Best Answer!

Yes, you need to hire an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible. Evidence must be gathered and preserved. Also, all potential insurers (including your own) should be put on notice as soon as possible. If you have not already done so, I would not recommend speaking to the defendant's insurance company, nor would I suggest your husband speak to the insurance company as statements you or your husband make could be misconstrued later in time.

Kimberly W. Grant
Law Offices of Wayne Grant, P.C.
kgrant@waynegrant.com
404-995-3953

You should definitely retain an attorney immediately. Accidents involving DUI create several unique issues that affect the value of your case and the ability to hold the at-fault driver liable. If the at-fault driver was indeed DUI, it should entitle your husband to punitive damages. If the at-fault driver was insured, his policy may or may not cover punitive damages. If it does, then this could significantly increase the value of your case. Contact an attorney familiar with Georgia law.

You definitely need one immediately! Do not talk to the insurer, who will use every statement to try to deny or reduce teh value of the claim. Make sure your husband gets immediate medical care as delay in treatment is also used by insurers to deny or reduce a claim.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Based upon this limited information, it sounds like this could be a very serious case, and I agree with the others who have responded that hiring a lawyer would be in your best interest in maximizing your husband's recovery in a case like this.

This response does not create an attorney-client relationship with you or an offer to represent you. It is intended solely to convey general information and should not be construed as legal advice.

Yes you do. Traumatic head injuries are what insurance companies call hard injuries and their case valuation go way up in determining damages. Get a PI lawyer ASAP. Best of luck,.

This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. Abogado de Lesiones de Accidentes de Autos, provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Oakland Abogado Accidentes Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Accidentes de carros, Abogado de accidentes de Peatones, practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

You are receiving very good advice here. Contact a Georgia personal injury lawyer immediately. Also, your husband's health is the most important thing. He must go to the the doctor and thoroughly explain all his symptoms and his pain. Your attorney will deal with the insurance company.

If he has not already done so, the first thing he needs to do is see a doctor. Thereafter, he certainly can hire a personal injury attorney to pursue his civil claim for damages as a result of this collision.

Yes. There are numerous advantages to hiring a lawyer who handles punitive damages cases. Make sure to ask if they know all the laws as it relates to your recovery of punitive damages. Also make sure that you inquire as to how many DUI cases they have handled and litigated.

DUI topics