Do I need an other LLC

Asked over 1 year ago - Kansas City, MO

I am have LLC for my current business and I am doing DBA as a different name which is a register fictious name is that fine? or do I need to have an LLC for DBA as well?

Thank you

1. Leonard Komen

Pro

1

Answered . a "dba" or registered fictitious name gives you no protection from creditors; it is just that, a name, and the owner of the name is the one liable for any debts. The purpose of registering the name is to comply with the Missouri statute that makes it a misdemeanor not to do so, and prevents a claim for fraud because you are hiding behind a name that is Not registered. And, just filing a Registration of Fictitious Name gives you not protection for that name. 50-100 people can register the same name and do business under it. For protection from creditors, and to protect the name itself, you should create another LLC.; Incidentally, many people are confused by the simple procedure of going on line and filing Articles of Organization. That does NOT give you adequate protection; you must have a complete Operating Agreement as the internal document. You should use an attorney.

2. M. Todd Miller

Answered . I wish I had Leaonard's time to explain but in general you can name your business whatever you want so long as you use the LLC correctly in all contracts and representations to others. Good luck.

3. Michael Charles Doland

Answered . Any corporation or LLC can (obviously) use its own name, or any number of ficititous business names. ABC LLC can dba DEF, GHI< jKL, MNO etc.
    You don't need a new LLC for every name.