Skip to main content

Do I need an International Driver's Permit?

Greenbelt, MD |
Filed under: International law

I am a student from Puerto Rico and I have a 10-week summer internship in Greenbelt, Maryland. My brother (who lives in NC) lent me his car for the summer, so I'll travel from Puerto Rico to North Carolina to get the car and then drive from NC to MD to use it for the summer. I called the DMV of MD and asked if my driver's permit from Puerto Rico was OK for driving in MD, but they told me that I could use it along with an International Driver's Permit. I am not an international driver. Puerto Rico is a US territory and I am an american citizen. What can I do for those 10 weeks that I will be driving in MD and NC? Thanks.

Attorney Answers 1


I do not practice in MD. However, you do not need a MD DL if you do not become a resident of Maryland. The rule is the same in many states. YOu have a 60 days grace period to apply for a MD DL. Please check the website of the MD DMV
In addition, please check this information carefully because you have Partial Reciprocity between PR and MD for your DL. Check the PR Departamento de Transportacion y Obras Publicas.
and the MD DMV
Of course this is the case in which you need to exchange your DL.

This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the undisclosed individual asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. Responses are based solely on New York Law unless stated otherwise. Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice contained in this written or electronic communication is not intended or written to be used and it cannot be used by any person or entity for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service or any other U.S. Federal taxing authority or agency or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

Mark as helpful

International law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics