Do I need an immigration lawyer to prepare my documents before Visa interview?

Asked about 1 year ago - Bristol, RI

Back in February 2011, I was arrested for possession of marijuana in my dorm. I was caught with less than an eight ounces of marijuana. I cooperated with Bristol Police Department and therefore I never set foot on the court. The officer said that my case has been disposed and I have no misdemeanor charges. But the strange part is that every time I re-enter the United States (after being ten finger printed to be more precise), the Custom and Border Protection officers always asked me about my drug arrest record and put me in a room for further. I am currently holding an F-1 visa and I lost it two months ago (it was about to expire anyway). I am have an interview appointment next week at the U.S consulate and I am afraid that I will not get the new visa.

1. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

8

Answered . Definitely. You know you need one.

2. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

7

Answered . It is always good to consult an immigration attorney. Your drug charge will always come up if you made a plea. Contact an attorney

3. Jeff L. Khurgel

Pro

7

Answered . Yes, yes. Yes. This is exactly the type of situation that may appear of relative insignificance, can become worse than it needs to be.

4. Frank Mascagni III

5

Answered . I edited your practice area from CRIMINAL DEFENSE to IMMIGRATION so some avvo attorneys that practice immigration law might respond. I would recommend that you consult with an immigration lawyer, and maybe a criminal defense lawyer to see if your criminal record exists and how to expunge it or seal it ( if it exists) under RI state law.

5. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

5

Answered . Definitely get an immigration law consult in this matter.

6. Lawrence J. Signore

Pro

1

Answered . Diposed does not always mean expunged in Rhode Island. If you would like, you can call my office in Providence at (401) 273 300 for a no charge consultation regarding your criminal matter and your immigration question. If you prefer, we can meet you on the East Bay. We are very familiar with Bristol as 2 of our lawyers attended law school in Bristol.