Do i need an immigration lawyer

Asked about 2 years ago - Detroit, MI

if my us citizen wife divorced me before the remove second interview at the immigration for removing the conditions what should i do?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Michael Hugh Carlin

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I would need some more information. Do you have a final divorce document? Or is the divorce still in process? Have you filed the I-751 yet?

    You will most likely be able to apply to remove the conditions even with the divorce. You should consult with an immigration attorney quickly to make plans for how to proceed.

    This internet-based communication with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the... more
  2. Heather Louise Garvock


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It is possible to file for a waiver of the joint filing requirement You will be required to demonstrate that you and your wife had a legitimate marriage but that things just didn't work out despite your intentions when you got married. I strongly encourage you to seek the advice of an attorney before filing your I-751.

  3. Gen Kimura

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You still have a chance to remove the condition even if you are divorced. Please consult with an attorney.

    This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.... more
  4. Kristina A. Gasson

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I would retain an experienced immigration lawyer to help you. For more information on removing the conditions of your permanent residence after divorce and filing Form I-751, see my article here: - Disclaimer: This a general answer to your legal question. Unless you have a signed engagement... more
  5. Leslie I Snyder

    Contributor Level 4

    Answered . Dear Sir,
    If your US citizen wife were to divorce you prior to the second interview, you would then have to send the proof of the divorce and file a waiver with the USCIS (immigration) in an effort to maintain your residence. You would need to prove that the marriage was entered into in good faith, so I would recommend strongly that you begin to gather as much proof as possible of the validity of the marriage. This will be a factual presentation to the immigration officer as if you were going to court. Therefore, it would be most helpful to retain counsel to prepare. If your case were denied by USCIS, then you could go before the immigration judge by the way.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Carl Michael Shusterman

How to Renew your Green Card

Renewing your Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, is important. If you have an expired Green Card you may be denied re-entry into the United States. You could also be charged with a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,907 answers this week

3,577 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,907 answers this week

3,577 attorneys answering