Do I need an immigration attorney?

Asked about 1 year ago - City Of Industry, CA

I filed one I130 for my wife and 1year old son. Do I need to file a separate form for my son or not since he is already a U.S citizen being that I'm a U.S Citizen?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Andrew Marino Bramante

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If your son was born in the U.S., you don't need to do anything more. If he was born overseas, you need to hire a lawyer to help you get your son certification as a US citizen.

    Andrew M. Bramante, Rosner Partners, 216-771-5588. Free telephone consultation. You should always consult with... more
  2. Brian David Lerner


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Hello:

    It is unclear where your son was born. If inside the U.S., then nothing must be done. Otherwise, you must complete and get the Certificate of Citizenship.


    Brian D. Lerner
    Attorney at Law

    We have 3 offices over the State of California and an international office in the Philippines. We do 100%... more
  3. Alexander Joseph Segal


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes. You need an attorney. You have to register his birth with the consulate first.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,250 answers this week

2,770 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary