Do I need an entertainment lawyer? What would be the cost to oversee a theater production?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I am a not a US citizen and foreign based playwright. The world premier of my "Musical" was held recently. There is a interest for the "Musical" to be presented in the USA. Please let me know how I should go about protecting my rights. As a foreigner will it be possible for me to get actively involved in the production and get paid for it?

1. Robert V Cornish Jr.

12

1

Answered . You should get an entertainment attorney to not only negotiate on your behalf, but also to make sure that your intellectual property is adequately protected. As for getting paid, you certainly can but the question is will it be US income for which you will pay US tax. It is thus also important to hire an attorney with access to tax expertise to assist you.

Feel free to contact me offline should you desire further assistance.

2. Erach Farrokh Screwvala

11

1

Answered . The theater business is unique, so when you retain counsel, make sure that they have experience in the industry and can answer questions regarding a collaboration agreement (if you have co-authors), the economics of off-Broadway vs. Broadway, royalty structures, including royalty pools, stock + amateur rights, any many other issues. Best of luck to you.

3. Maurice N Ross

Pro

8

1

Best Answer

Answered . You can get paid, but there are many complex legal issues, requiring retention of a full service law firm with experience in entertainment law, corporate law, intellectual property law and, perhaps most importantly here, immigration law.

Also, you need to be practical from the beginning about economics. Bringing a musical to the United States can be an expensive proposition if it is intended for a commercial (broadway or off-broadway) audience. On the other hand, if your musical is a production on a relatively modest scale, and if you intend to stage a small U.S. production that is either non-commercial or a work-shop for a future commercial production, there can be relatively inexpensive ways to produce it in the United States---perhaps in coordination with a local non-profit theatre organization. Without knowing the details concerning your musical, its scope, length, number of performers and commercial ambitions, it is hard to guide you, However, if you eventually want to produce this musical as a commercial, profit-making venture, you definitively need an experienced intellectual property lawyer with theatrical experience. The law in the U.S. regarding theatrical productions has some vestiges of historical events that are not intuitive (for example, often the theatre owner is a producer and/or is responsible for paying the salaries of actors and musicians as well as theatre staff). The music licensing issues, alone are complex in U.S. theatre deals, much less the documentation of financial arrangements and ownership and protection of intellectual property rights. Thus, it is quite essential that you work with experienced entertainment/intellectual property/business counsel if you expert turn this into a profit-making enterprise. This usually means retaining a law firm that will provide you with a team of lawyers with expertise in the disciplines that you need. As Sondheim wrote: "Any One Can Whistle---easy" (but it's not really so simple).

4. Eric Edward Rothstein

9

1

Answered . The entertainment businesss is a tough one in the U.S. I strongly advise you to hire a very good entertainment lawyer if you are planning to do a play here. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

5. Peter Hills Acker

10

1

Answered . If you are not a U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident and you plan on coming to the U.S. and getting involved in the actual production, you will mostly likely want to speak with an immigration attorney as well. U.S. immigration laws are some of the most complex in the world, and your ability to come here and the extent to which you will be able to get involved in the presentation, will depend on your eligibility for a visa and which type of visa you want to utilize.

6. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

7

1

Answered . Yes retain an entertainment lawyer. Discuss the fees with the attorney. Having an attorney represent you and assist you should protect your rights. You can be paid depending on the deal you negotiate.

7. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

6

1

Answered . You drew a lot of interest from NY entertainment lawyers, so you have a good selection from which to choose. I recommend you also get an agent or rep working on commission and get the best one you can. Industry contacts can make all the difference to a foreigner trying to break into the US industry. If you are good, your agent is good and your attorney is good, you have a leg up on your competition. You were very smart to come to Avvo and ask and you asked well without tipping your identity. That tells me you have the smarts to make it if you get the right help. Good Luck.