Do I need an attorney to straighten out my credit score ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Ada, OK

My credit score is really low , I don't know where to begin ! It is overwhelming , do I pay all my debt off that shows up as late on my credit report ? Most of it is medical , I need advice ! I read where if I did pay it off it would still look bad on my credit ?

1. Victor R. Wandres

Pro

Answered . There are several free resources on the internet that you can read regarding credit repair. Start with reviewing the forums at Credit Boards (http://creditboards.com/forums/). You can send letters to the credit reporting agencies disputing the debt. If the company that posted the negative tradeline on your credit report does not respond in time, the credit bureau must remove the tradeline from you credit report.

You should also familiarize yourself with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) as you likely have debt collectors contacting you. We have some general rules on our website (http://www.paramountlaw.net), and we can also send you a brochure with more detailed rules that debt collection companies must follow. Information is also provided by the FTC at the link below.

2. Seyed Abbas Kazerounian

1

Answered . Also if any of the creditors are contacting you, there maybe FDCPA violations. You could use those cases as leverage to better your credit report

3. Guerino John Cento

Answered . No. An attorney cannot do anything to your score. You would only need an attorney if you have claims to bring against the consumer reporting agencies or credit information furnishers resulting from inaccuracies on your credit report.

4. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

Answered . I have written a 10 part series explaining how to improve credit scores after bankruptcy. No reason why much of this information won't help you out. You will have to scroll past a lot of other info to find the articles that will interest you though. Hope this perspective helps!