Skip to main content

Do I need an attorney to straighten out my credit score ?

Ada, OK |
Filed under: Credit repair

My credit score is really low , I don't know where to begin ! It is overwhelming , do I pay all my debt off that shows up as late on my credit report ? Most of it is medical , I need advice ! I read where if I did pay it off it would still look bad on my credit ?

Attorney Answers 4


No. An attorney cannot do anything to your score. You would only need an attorney if you have claims to bring against the consumer reporting agencies or credit information furnishers resulting from inaccuracies on your credit report.

PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU COMMENT, EMAIL ME OR PHONE ME. This answer doesn't make me your lawyer, and neither do follow-up comments and/or emails and/or phone calls, and you should not expect me to respond to your further questions if you haven't hired me. We need an actual agreement confirmed in writing before any attorney-client relationship is formed. This answer doesn't constitute legal advice, and shouldn't be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

Mark as helpful


Also if any of the creditors are contacting you, there maybe FDCPA violations. You could use those cases as leverage to better your credit report

Kazerouni Law Group, APC is a law firm concentrating its efforts in the area of consumer law, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 U.S.C. §§ 1692 et seq. (“FDCPA”), and California's Rosenthal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, California Civil Code §§ 1788-1788.32 ("Rosenthal Act"). Our lawyers are specially trained in the Federal FDCPA, Consumer Defense, and other consumer related matters. Our goal is to protect you against unfair, deceptive and abusive debt collection practices. Creditors, professional debt collectors, and attorneys who violate the law are subject to paying damages, statutory penalties, and the consumer's attorneys fees and costs. If you feel you have been abused, deceived or treated unfairly, you may need a lawyer. We can be reached at 800-400-6808, or through one of the evaluation forms on this or at our own website at The information provided on this website is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice or as forming an attorney-client relationship. No attorney-client relationship between the reader and Abbas Kazerounian has been formed. If you are in the State of California and would be interested in a formal free consultation either visit Kazerouni Law Group, APC website at or call me toll free at 800-400-6808.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


I have written a 10 part series explaining how to improve credit scores after bankruptcy. No reason why much of this information won't help you out. You will have to scroll past a lot of other info to find the articles that will interest you though. Hope this perspective helps!

Mark as helpful


There are several free resources on the internet that you can read regarding credit repair. Start with reviewing the forums at Credit Boards ( You can send letters to the credit reporting agencies disputing the debt. If the company that posted the negative tradeline on your credit report does not respond in time, the credit bureau must remove the tradeline from you credit report.

You should also familiarize yourself with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) as you likely have debt collectors contacting you. We have some general rules on our website (, and we can also send you a brochure with more detailed rules that debt collection companies must follow. Information is also provided by the FTC at the link below.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

Mark as helpful

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics