Do I need an attorney to help me if my wages are being garnished from a previous judgement and my family is under poverty.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Tampa, FL

I had to go to mediation about 7 years ago about a vehicle that was voluntarily reposessed

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Seyed Abbas Kazerounian

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There is no harm seeing a consumer protection attorney. Just because there is a judgment against you does not mean that there are no rules in the way a judgment can be collected. The consumer protection attorney can screen to see if the judgment is being collected within the parameters of the Law. A lot of the time collection firms will violate statutes like the FDCPA and you may actually have a claim and not know it. Should you have such a claim, you can use that as leverage to perhaps try to erase or reduce the judgment against you

    Kazerouni Law Group, APC is a law firm concentrating its efforts in the area of consumer law, the Fair Debt... more
  2. John Arthur Smitten

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You can file documents to stop the garnishment if you are head of household and have dependents. Contact my office for free consultation 727-446-7659.

  3. Carl H Starrett II

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Another option would be to consult a bankruptcy attorney to get rid of this and any other debts permanently.

    Trying to handle legal issues on your own is like changing the oil on your car. Some can do it themselves, some cannot. Those that cannot take it to a specialist to get the oil changed. Some that can still take to a professional to make sure it gets done correctly. Some can do it as good as the professional.

    First, the firm is a debt relief agency according to the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. We help people file for bankruptcy.... more
  4. Gary D. Bollinger

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . DIY exemptions forms are possible.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,626 answers this week

2,935 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,626 answers this week

2,935 attorneys answering