Skip to main content

Do I need an attorney to get the custody of my son, please help he is being abused?

Bridgeport, CT |

I am not sure where to start but there are a lot of different things to this story. First off I am the father of an 11 year old that is being abused by his step father. I live in CT and he is with his mother in MA. I have contacted the police in MA as well as DCF. I went to her home the other day to pick up my son for my 2 week visitation rights and she put a restraining order on me that I can not see him. I have to go to court and I have pictures and recording of the child stating that he has been abused by the step father, but the child is so scared to tell the truth because the mother has drilled into his head that everything that has happened was his own fault and that if he ever told anyone that he would go to jail. We have joint custody of the child and I want sole custody HELP

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Yes you should hire an attorney to help you through this process. DCF will conduct an investigation as well and issue a report, which you can bring to court with you for a custody hearing.

This is general advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.


If the primary custody is in MA, you will likely need to take action there and not in CT.

Providing answers to questions on AVVO does not create an attorney/client relationship. It is not possible to provide legal advice in the context of question and answers on the internet. The "answers" posted are solely for the purpose of providing general information about legal matters. Consult an attorney licensed to practice in your state or jurisdiction before taking any action. Be advised that what you post on AVVO is not confidential and in a civil law suit may be discoverable.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer