Do i need an attorney to fill out the Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals form?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Portland, OR

i want to know the cost since im in a tight budget.

Attorney answers (6)

  1. Elliot M.S. Yi

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . An attorney is not required for you to apply for deferred action. However, you will be required to submit several forms and provide documents as evidence to show you meet all of the guidelines required. One procedural mistake can cause unnecessary delay. Therefore I would recommend you consult with an attorney to make sure you qualify before submitting an application and paying the filing fee costs. Some attorneys may offer payment plans to accommodate your needs. The filing fee costs regardless of whether you hire an attorney will be $465 ($380 fee for filling the I-821D, i-765, and I-765WS and $85 fee for biometric services).

    This answer is intended for general informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship.
  2. Beata Anna Leja

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . All immigration filings, including for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), can be filed without an attorney. Having said that, an experienced immigration attorney will be able to tell you whether you qualify for DACA and if so, what documents you'll need to file with a DACA application. There is no appeal from a DACA denial, so you may want to at least spend some money on a consultation with an immigration attorney. Different attorneys charge different fees, so you'll need to call around to find out their fees for consultations and DACA filings.

  3. David N Shomloo

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Many immigration forms are simple to complete, however, it is not about "easy" when it comes to immigration laws. It is good idea to consult with an attorney when completing any immigration forms. The questions the government asks are designed to gather information to establish eligibility for relief and see whether they wish to exercise favorable discretion your case.

    The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You... more
  4. Lisa Ellen Seifert


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You might, or you might not. The form (I-821D and I-765) is not really difficult. An attorney can help you in deciding WHETHER OR NOT to file. Perhaps there is something better for you.... or perhaps there is a reason that you should not file. Remember, there is no appeal, so if you get denied, you have wasted your money, and perhaps exposed yourself to prosecution from ICE. I think most people would benefit from at least attending a program where attorneys can explain about the DACA program. Good luck. Some people are already getting approved.

    This is general advice, and does not constitute an attorney client relationship.
  5. Michael Paul Gianelli

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should seek a free consultation with an immigration attorney to see if you are indeed eligible for the relief. Find out how much attorneys are charging in your area for this service. If the price is fair and you trust the attorney, consider hiring him or her. If you decide against hiring an attorney, you will at least have gained a better understanding of the process from your consultation.

    No attorney-client relationship is formed from this communication.
  6. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Whether you need an attorney depends on whether you have any criminal matters, and whether or not you understand what the process is and the form instructions.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,813 answers this week

3,376 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,813 answers this week

3,376 attorneys answering