Do I need an attorney or should I use small claims court to recover medical costs and damages to furniture infected by mold.

Asked over 1 year ago - Livermore, CA

My daughter was exposed to mold in her apartment. The landlord had a formal inspection
done, and the results were such that my daughter had to immediately move out. We know that it was a serious issue, but the inspection company won't release details, and the landlord has turned it over to an attorney. She was, however, told by the inspection company that "exposure level was 10 times normal and that affected furniture and bedding should be replaced".

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Malosack Berjis

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You don't "need" an attorney. But, based on the limited information you have provided, it sounds like it would be highly advantageous if one was retained. (The other side has an attorney, your daughter's damages could likely exceed the small claims court limit, etc.)

    This attorney is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ... more
  2. John Noah Kitta

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . It all depends on the amount of your damages. If your damages are $10,000 or less, you really should go to Small Claims Court. If your daughter was hospitalized and had serious medical bills exceeding $10,000, and you can prove (and a doctor will testify) that the mold was the causation, then you could seek out legal counsel.

    If you have found this information helpful, please let the attorney know by marking best answer. Thank you.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

16,086 answers this week

2,246 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

16,086 answers this week

2,246 attorneys answering