Do I need an attorney or just my insurance agent?

Asked over 1 year ago - Gadsden, AL

My neighbor who is also an in-law and I share a property line. On this line is a tree that is leaning severely and will soon fall. The owner is well aware of this and has no insurance. I have insurance. What are my rights if and when this tree falls and clips my house? I have not spoken to my insurance agent about this yet..

1. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

1

Answered . You don't need either yet. If the tree is on the line, you should photograph it, and have it removed. Your neighbor should pay half and if necessary you can sue him over it. If the tree falls on your house, file an insurance claim

2. Michael T Millar

Pro

Answered . If you believe that the tree may fall and damage your house, you should act now to remove it.

You are free to trim or remove any part of the tree that extends over your property line.

It may be advisable to approach your neighbor and offer to split the cost of removing the tree.