Do I need an attorney for my case in a juvenile drug court? What penalties should I expect?

Asked over 4 years ago - Providence, RI

I stumbled upon an abandoned building and went inside only to be greeted by a police officer who told me to empty my pockets and take off my backpack. I asked him if I was being arrested or detained to which he replied take off the bag. I told him I wasn't consenting and again asked if I was being arrested or detained. This ping ponged several times until he said that he grabbed the bag off my back and told me that I was under arrest for trespassing and was promptly handcuffed. I was found trespassing on state property with a gram of cannabis (as a minor), and taken into custody. On the police report it says that I was first told I was under arrest and tried to trick the officer, it also said that time would be needed to determine the juvenile court details.

1. Andrew Daniel Myers

Answered . It would be very wise for you to have counsel retained to represent your best interests. This is not the sort of thing that you want on your record and you may have some very good defenses that an attorney could raise for you.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided in an office consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, with experience in the area of law in which your concern lies.

2. Ayuban Antonio Tomas

Pro

Answered . It would be in your best interest to hire a criminal defense attorney right away.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.

One or more answers have been taken down.