Do I need an attorney for my bullied son?

Asked over 2 years ago - New Britain, CT

We have struggled as parents with our son's school to receive a fair and safe environment. Our son was attacked by a bully near our home.The police came and a report was filed in October. This year our son quit the soccer team because this same bully was verbally and physically going attacking him. We had to take our son off the bus route because this bullying had continued to verbally and physically attack him on this bus. Our son was an honors student last year. His grades have dropped no less than a full letter grade. He does not feel safe. He states the school does not take him seriously when he expresses concerns about his safety. We as parents agree. The school seems to shelter the bully and does little for his safety. Our concerns or not addressed.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Rixon Charles Rafter III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Schools are required to have an anti-bully policy written to ensure the safety of all children. It’s a crime (threatening behavior, assault, etc.) and you are not without options.
    If you’ve created a paper trail that documents the events, documents that the school has been notified, and documents inaction–you have a quiver of arrows that will get the districts attention once the hierarchy becomes aware of the issue.

    You can take some immediate steps
    1) you can call the police. It’s a crime, even though they may not make an arrest.
    2) you can sue the district on grounds that federal and state anti-bullying laws are being violated and not acted upon–basically the court orders the district to do its job (writ of mandamus)
    3) contact the PTA, sometimes they will get involved.
    4) Notify the school in WRITING, send a letter to the school regarding what is going on–certified mail, return receipt.
    5) Ask for a meeting with principal & school security (if any). Document the meetings proceedings (tape if your state allows) otherwise contemporaneous notes made immediately after the meeting (when its fresh in your mind) and provide a copy to school afterward ( may come in handy later as evidence, the schools rarely refute or request correction).
    Also, begin longer term actions:
    1. Keep a daily journal: the who, what, when, where, and how of each incident.
    2. Consider developing a plan to stop the bullying: i.e. a shadow staff member to follow your child, a meeting with the other kids' parents, daily email to school staff, etc.
    3. If schools is non-responsive–in WRITING, contact your district school board superintendent.
    4. Pick up your child and escort them to school if possible.
    5. Depending on the schools districts responsiveness, your circumstances, and your child’s age, you may be able to transfer to another school, independent study, your supervision at school as needed.
    6. Request the school intervene with the bully’s family and review school actions that can be taken against him (study hall, suspension, expulsion etc.)

    You can and perhaps should engage an education attorney (sometimes the call themselves administrative law attorneys, or special education attorneys)at any time. Many of these attorneys know the school board members/superintendent, they know the lawyers who defend the district, they know the local courts and most importantly, they know how to apply pressure in the right places to get the district up off its cpllective rear-end, and working on your behalf.

    READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed in the Commonwealth of Virginia, addressing your issue does... more
  2. Charles F Basil

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . Expanding on the previous answer, your question does not indicate what steps you've taken personally to involve the school administration in this issue. I'm sure that whatever school district you're in has an assistant Superintendent of Schools who is charged with implementing the anti-bullying law, and their local protocols. I would involve both that person, and the School's principal by making a detailed complaint about the issues. If the school is not taking this issue seriously, they may be the subject of a lawsuit, but if they're not on documented notice of the matters, they'd be in a very defendable position.

  3. James C Wing JR


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . This is a link to Connecticut material on bullying, The new law was signed into law by the Governor in July 2011.

    Sometimes the perpetrator of bullying is a child with special pupil service needs. The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) sets limit on changes in the placement of these students to protect them. The change of placement restrictions prevent the children from being expelled and limits the school's ability to suspend these students.

    Still, your child is still entitled to be safe in school. If you do not believe that your son is safe, an attorney may be able to help. Be sure to select an attorney whose practice includes education or school law. While any attorney can help, there is a complex statutory framework, particularly where the perpetrator is protected by IDEA, that must be navigated. Having an attorney familiar with those laws will help and there is no benefit for you for paying a general practice attorney to research education laws.

    I wrote this to help you and others who may face issues like yours in the future. I hope you find my response to... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,960 answers this week

2,768 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,960 answers this week

2,768 attorneys answering