Do I need an Attorney for my Auto Accident?

Stevens Point, WI |

On September 3rd I was involved in an auto accident, another driver ran a stop sign and ran into the side of my vehicle at about 45 MPH. I did not have a stop sign and was found to be at no fault. After the accident I went to the ER and followed up with my Doctor six times within two months, I saw a Physical Therapist 2 times/ week for 1 1/2 months. I was prescribed to five different Pain medicines and muscle relaxants also had steroid injections into my back. My Physical Therapist just told me that I am only 75% recovered and that is as much as he believes Ill be able to recover. The insurance company said they would like to settle at the end of the week. My lost wages = $2670.31. Hospital and PT bills= $2432.75. The check was received for damages on the car totaling $5,000.

Yes, you need an attorney. Your attorney will maximize your recovery. The insurance company will try to take advantage of you.

Yes, a personal injury lawyer would be prudent.

Yes, you absolutely need an attorney for this. The insurance company wants to settle for less. They always try to save themselves money. An attorney can make sure you get the full value of your damages, including any known future treatment that will be required. Talk to an attorney soon. Good luck with this.

Without looking at your medical records and what your doctor says about you need for future medical care and the nature and extent of your permanency, no one can give you any ballpark answer becasue all of these factor into your damages.

Consult with a personal injury attorney ASAP.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

Call an attorney, schedule a consultation, acquire a copy of your medical chart and take it with you to the consultation.

The information provided herein is for informational purposes and should not be construed to establish an attorney client relationship. To establish such a relationship, the prospective client would need to meet with me in person, and have a detailed discussion about all the facts and circumstances surrounding your case.

Yes. Retain counsel immediately. Additionally, get the medical treatment you need.

The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. I am only licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and I am not providing you with specific legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances and/or the jurisdiction where you reside. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Your question, although you may believe is simple, it is not simple. You require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.

You would be best served by an experienced personal injury lawyer for a serious case like this. Good luck

Sounds like a resounding yes.

Sending an email or posting a question does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney client privilege. The comments and opinions expressed in Jon Groth's comments are intended for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. Reading or using the information in this blog does not create the existence of an attorney-client privilege. Due to the changing nature of the law, the blog posts may contain dated material. For an update on the current law and the application of the law to your particular facts and circumstances, consult a legal advisor. The information contained herein is not a substitute for obtaining legal advice from a qualified attorney licensed in your state.

Yes. I would strongly suggest that you consult with a local personal injury lawyer. In many instances a good personal injury lawyer can obtain substantially higher settlements than injured parties can obtain on their own. There is really no downside to consulting with a lawyer. Initial consultations are usually free. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Are you getting the feeling you should retain a personal injury lawyer? Hmm... Maybe you should use the Avvo find a lawyer tab and find one. The insurance company will eat you alive if you are I represented.

We are serious lawyers for the seriously injured. I am a co-author of WEITZ ON AUTOMOBILE LITIGATION: THE NO FAULT HANDBOOK. The opinions expressed in this answer are not legal advice. These opinions are thoughts based on New York practice. We have no attorney-client relationship. Conducting a conversation with me through the avvo comments section does not create an attorney-client relationship. Past results are not necessarily indicative of future performance.

When hiring an attorney, which you should do ASAP, interview a couple of AVVO attorney's to find out their qualifications and whether they litigate and go to trial. good luck