Skip to main content

Do I need an Attorney for my "theft of property" case or would I be able to get it dismissed on my own?

El Paso, TX |

I have no criminal record. I was arrested for theft of property: <$50 >$500, the total was $60. The Cash Bond was $300. I want my case to be dismissed and record erased. Would I need an attorney to accomplish this or would I be able to do so on my own, without the help of an attorney? If I need an attorney, please recommend one. If I do not need an attorney, please advise the process I should follow. Thank you very much.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You need a criminal defense attorney. Check this AVVO website for a criminal defense attorney in El Paso.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


Theft of $60 is a Class B misdemeanor charge. If you are convicted, the sentence is up to 180 days in county jail and up to $2000 fine. If convicted, you can never get it off your record completely. As other attorney said... search here in Avvo with the FIND A LAWYER tab above for criminal defense attorneys in your area.

BEST ANSWER I got....and I hope I was HELPFUL! My answers do not establish an attorney/client relationship. Contact Steve Hamer at (214) 843-1529 for a FREE CONSULTATION.


I would not attempt to do this on your own. You will never be able to do as well as you can with a defense attorney to help you. Your attorney can attempt to put you in a position to avoid a conviction on your record. If you attempt to do this yourself, the prosecutor will likely not be as generous.


Yes you need a lawyer to help you with this case. Often a good lawyer can work with the prosecution to either get the case dismissed after payment of restitution or get the charges lowered to a Class C. Either way you should be able to come back latter and get the case expunged.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer