Do I need an attorney for medical malpractice? After I was hit by a semi I had to have my leg amputated. What happened later...

Lake Mary, FL |

I'm not going after the doctors,, but, Dec.,8. 2008 a hospitol discharged me after my 4th amputation with no medicaton and i ended up with ostiomatiomalitis (a deadly deasese) and had a 106 fever, staph infection, multiple blood transfusions and was admitted to the hostpital for 8 months and it really effected my children. The hospital gave me the wrong medication(allergic to, some that almost made my heart stop). Was transfered to a nursing home and getting relapse getting merser and hepititus b.

If this happened in Florida, the statute of limitations has expired.

This is a summary based on incomplete facts. You should not rely on it as legal advise. No attorney-client relationship is intended to be formed. You may call me 772-562-4570; email me vblawyer@bellsouth.net, or visit my website http://www.millerlawoffices.us

Agree with esteemed counsel here that if your case occurred almost 5 years ago, then you have a real statute of limitations problem, as well as statute of repose lapse.

DISCLAIMER: We do not have an attorney-client relationship. Only those persons who have a signed written fee agreement and authority to represent with me is an actual client. This response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than my educated opinion or viewpoint. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. I recommend you consult a lawyer if you want professional assurance that this information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice from an attorney in your area.

You need to immediately consult with a local medical malpractice attorney who can examine all of the facts and the records.

Looks like there is a statute of limitations issue, so contact a lawyer in your state to check.

Sorry you went through this experience. If this happened in Florida, and your dates are accurate, then I am afraid that any claim will be barred by the Statute of Limitations/Statute of Repose. Florida Statutes Sec. 95.11

First, let me simply and sincerely say that I am so very sorry for all that you have had to undergo as an immediate result of the accident in which you were involved itself, and then the incredible series of tragic events that you later endured, as well. You must be a truly amazing person with an incredibly strong will, and for that you should be commended.

While I agree in very part with most of what my very knowledgeable colleagues have already conveyed to you, I must note one potential point of disagreement. It is highly speculative and would require an immediate review of the records relating to your admission to the nursing and rehabilitation center which you characterized as having occurred "eight months later". It is theoretically possible that you could still have a viable claim against the nursing home if you developed MRSA as a consequence of inadequately formulated; enforced; and implemented infection control procedures and protocol, and/or negative acts or omissions on the part of individual staff members at the facility leading to what is known in the law as "vicarious liability" on the part of the entity for the harm which may have resulted from their potential negligent conduct. For any claim against that entity during the relevant time period which you described, your particular situation would also have to be of such nature that the "statute of repose" would be applicable in this matter under its unique circumstances and that may or may not be true. However, as I analyze the scenario which you have described, I can not rule out the possibility that your potential claim against the nursing and rehabilitation facility is viable at this time. However, even if viable at this moment, it could expire in the very immediate future; therefore, it is imperative that you have those records reviewed immediately. I can also advise you, unfortunately, that having handled thousands of nursing home cases in the State of Florida over the twenty years in which I have practiced, these facilities frequently go to extraordinary measures to delay the production of the documents which require immediate review. Accordingly I once again stress that if you wish to have this matter investigated, you take immediate action in the absolute sense of the word.

My very best personal regards and best wishes to you,

David B. Dohner, Esq.

We are pleased to offer a free thirty (30) minute initial telephone consultation (simply dial {305} 972-5720), or, if you prefer, a free thirty (30) minute initial office consultation. Neither this offer of a free initial consultation, nor the mere fact that the initial consultation may have ultimately been conducted, whether telephonically or at our office location, should be construed; assumed; interpreted; or understood by any individual who was granted a free initial consultation for which no consideration of any sort whatsoever was tendered, to have formed or created an attorney-client relationship, or to have created any obligations owed by the attorney or attorney's firm to any individual who was given a free initial consultation, by the mere undertaking of the free initial consultation for which no consideration of any sort was tendered to attorney or attorney's firm. The formation of an attorney-client relationship occurs through the process of negotiation between the prospective parties, the individual seeking legal representation, and the attorney, acting individually, or as an agent of a firm (the capacity in which the attorney is acting shall be disclosed to prospective client, if negotiations for legal representation in exchange for good and valuable consideration are undertaken by the prospective client and the attorney. If agreement is reached by and between the parties for legal representation after the mutually satisfactory negotiation of the agreement for legal representation, and all of its individual terms; the scope of representation to be provided by the attorney to the prospective client has been delineated to the mutual satisfaction of the parties; the manner of payment of good and valuable consideration by the prospective client to the attorney has been determined; and it has been conceded by the parties that all of those factors upon which agreement had been reached by the parties and which were recited herein, had been agreed upon by the parties only after careful consideration and sufficient review of the document styled Agreement for Legal Representation, and after it has likewise been conceded by the parties that each respectively had been presented with the opportunity to have the document reviewed independently by each respective party's personal attorney, or any other attorney of his or her chooosing. If the Agreement for Legal Representation contains terms regarding contingency fee agreement or agreements for payment to the attorney for all or a portion of his or her services and legal representation on behalf of the Client, Client concedes that he or she has been presented with an additional document entitled "Statement of Client's Rights", which is a document created by the Florida Bar and approved for use in matters in which payment in full or part, is tendered by contingency fee agreement. Please note that any commentary or response offered through this site is based on the limited set of facts and background data supplied by the individual framing the question and would in all likelihood require more investigation before a complete response could properly be framed to thoroughly answer the question posed. No attorney-client relationship is, or should be presumed to be, formed through the comments or responses provided to the individual posing the question, as a courtesy, here, through this forum, nor should any other duties or obligations be construed; assumed; or otherwise be inferred to exist and/or owed to the individual who posed the question by the attorney who provided the best guidance possible to said individual under the circumstances presented as they were, including the unreasonable assumption that a full and thorough legal analysis of an individual's situation could be formulated simply based on the minute portion of the entirety of the facts and circumstances surrounding any legal matter, which could in no manner possibly be presented here in such a form which would allow for a thorough analysis, evaluation, or legal opinion to be formed by the Attorney.