Do i need an Attorney for harassing debt collectors

Asked over 1 year ago - Polk City, FL

Hello, I have questions regarding an issue i have. ok, my friends and family are getting calls from debt collectors saying that i have several allegations against them. one is asking for a statement for something out of Manchester,Ct. And the other is saying i have allegations. Is that harassment? also what do i do on this situation? I check the courts websites and my credit report and there is nothing. what should i do?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Sergio Cabanas


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree that you should find an consumer protection attorney in your area who can help you with develop your case against the creditor. You may find such an attorney through the National Association of Consumer Attorneys (naca).

  2. Shireen Hormozdi

    Contributor Level 3

    Answered . It's a violation of the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act for a debt collector to disclose your debt to a third party. Feel free to call Krohn and Moss, the Consumer Law Center, at 866-875-3666, they have Florida attorneys that cal help.

  3. Michael Patrick Fuino

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . I fully endorse my fellow attorneys' advice that you seek competent legal counsel immediately. Debt harassment is a creature of statute, whether it is the Florida Consumer Collection Practices Act, the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, or the Florida Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices Act. Each statute has its own body of law, and understanding the differences between the statutes is important. For instance, an entity might violate the Florida Consumer Collection Practices Act because it communicated about your debt to a third party, but did not violate the exact same rule under the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act because the party does not meet the statutory definition of debt collector under that statute.

    Therefore, please consult with an attorney well-versed in consumer protection law as soon as possible. Please note that the shelf-life to bring claims under the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and Florida Consumer Collection Practices Act is uniquely short, so you should not wait any longer to seek the advice of a qualified attorney.

    Michael P. Fuino, Esq.
    Associate, Matthew D. Weidner, P.A.
    (727) 894-3159

    This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed, in any way, as the acceptance of... more
  4. Dorothy G Bunce


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you truly have been harassed by debt collectors, attorneys handling consumer law will be happy to take your case on a contingency basis. The debt collector will have to pay you damages and pay your legal fees. Look for a consumer law attorney by using the "Find a Lawyer" search tool here on Avvo. Hope this perspective helps!

  5. Tregg Robert Lunn


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . I agree ttaht you need to find a qualified consumer attorney in your area. There are laws that can help you against harassing collectors.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,805 answers this week

3,217 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,805 answers this week

3,217 attorneys answering