Do i need an Attorney for harassing debt collectors

Polk City, FL |

Hello, I have questions regarding an issue i have. ok, my friends and family are getting calls from debt collectors saying that i have several allegations against them. one is asking for a statement for something out of Manchester,Ct. And the other is saying i have allegations. Is that harassment? also what do i do on this situation? I check the courts websites and my credit report and there is nothing. what should i do?

If you truly have been harassed by debt collectors, attorneys handling consumer law will be happy to take your case on a contingency basis. The debt collector will have to pay you damages and pay your legal fees. Look for a consumer law attorney by using the "Find a Lawyer" search tool here on Avvo. Hope this perspective helps!

I agree that you should find an consumer protection attorney in your area who can help you with develop your case against the creditor. You may find such an attorney through the National Association of Consumer Attorneys (naca).

I agree ttaht you need to find a qualified consumer attorney in your area. There are laws that can help you against harassing collectors.

It's a violation of the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act for a debt collector to disclose your debt to a third party. Feel free to call Krohn and Moss, the Consumer Law Center, at 866-875-3666, they have Florida attorneys that cal help.

I fully endorse my fellow attorneys' advice that you seek competent legal counsel immediately. Debt harassment is a creature of statute, whether it is the Florida Consumer Collection Practices Act, the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, or the Florida Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices Act. Each statute has its own body of law, and understanding the differences between the statutes is important. For instance, an entity might violate the Florida Consumer Collection Practices Act because it communicated about your debt to a third party, but did not violate the exact same rule under the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act because the party does not meet the statutory definition of debt collector under that statute.

Therefore, please consult with an attorney well-versed in consumer protection law as soon as possible. Please note that the shelf-life to bring claims under the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and Florida Consumer Collection Practices Act is uniquely short, so you should not wait any longer to seek the advice of a qualified attorney.

Michael P. Fuino, Esq.
Associate, Matthew D. Weidner, P.A.
(727) 894-3159
mfuino@mattweidnerlaw.com
www.weidnerlaw.com

This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed, in any way, as the acceptance of representation and the creation of an attorney-client relationship. No attorney-client relationship shall exist unless and until a retainer agreement has been signed by Matthew D. Weidner, P..A. and countersigned by the prospective client.

Sued for debt topics