Do I need an attorney for a workers comp claim?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

How may an attorney add value to my workers comp claim? And how does an attorney get paid in a workers comp case? Thank you.

1. Brett A. Borah

3

1

Answered . I agree with Mr. Corson....and he represents insurance companies....so when he tells you it's a good idea to get a lawyer, you should listen.

You don't NEED a lawyer but you really do WANT one. O.J. didn't NEED a lawyer in his trial but I bet he's glad he got one (or several!). You are dealing in a very complicated field. The insurance company deals in this area daily...they are pros. You are not even a rookie. You don't know the rules of the game, the tricks of the game, the players in the game....how can you ever hope to beat them? I had a client come in recently with an offer to settle of $4,000 and asked if it was a good offer. I said I didn't know but why would the insurance company make you a good offer. i took her case and we eventually settled the case for $40,000! Was she happy to pay me 15% of the settlement? You bet she was!

Find a good w.c. attorney here at www.avvo.com or at www.caaa.org. CAAA is the association for attorneys here in CA who represent injured workers. Or you can call me for a referral. Good luck.

2. Hillary Johns

2

1

Answered . Yes you do. It's usually a percentage or by statute.

3. George Ellis Corson IV

Pro

2

1

Answered . You do not require an Attorney for a WC claim, but the field is complicated and it is really a very good idea to have one. The Attorneys usually charge 15%, but the fee must be approved by the Judge.

4. Patrick J. Filan

Pro

1

Answered . Attorneys can assure that you receive proper medical care and that your benefits are not improperly benefits. An attorney can also negotiate a settlement of your case if you agree.