Do I need an attorney for a workers comp claim?

How may an attorney add value to my workers comp claim? And how does an attorney get paid in a workers comp case? Thank you.

1. Yes you do. It's usually a percentage or by statute.

Ms. Johns can be reached at her Woodland Hills and San Diego offices at (866) 402-4038. Her email is hjohns@hjohnsatlaw.com and her office does offer free telephone consultations to Avvo askers. Ms. Johns is a lawyer although she is not your lawyer unless you have consulted with her and signed a fee or letter agreement confirming her representation of you. This Avvo response does not otherwise create a binding attorney client fee agreement. Ms. Johns and her employees are not tax or financial advisors and do not give tax or financial advice of any kind. For such advice, it is recommended that you consult with a tax or financial professional in that field.

2. You do not require an Attorney for a WC claim, but the field is complicated and it is really a very good idea to have one. The Attorneys usually charge 15%, but the fee must be approved by the Judge.

We give free general concepts to be helpful, but you should give ALL your facts to a licensed Attorney in your state before you RELY upon any legal advice.

3. I agree with Mr. Corson....and he represents insurance companies....so when he tells you it's a good idea to get a lawyer, you should listen.

You don't NEED a lawyer but you really do WANT one. O.J. didn't NEED a lawyer in his trial but I bet he's glad he got one (or several!). You are dealing in a very complicated field. The insurance company deals in this area daily...they are pros. You are not even a rookie. You don't know the rules of the game, the tricks of the game, the players in the game....how can you ever hope to beat them? I had a client come in recently with an offer to settle of $4,000 and asked if it was a good offer. I said I didn't know but why would the insurance company make you a good offer. i took her case and we eventually settled the case for $40,000! Was she happy to pay me 15% of the settlement? You bet she was!

Find a good w.c. attorney here at www.avvo.com or at www.caaa.org. CAAA is the association for attorneys here in CA who represent injured workers. Or you can call me for a referral. Good luck.

4. Attorneys can assure that you receive proper medical care and that your benefits are not improperly benefits. An attorney can also negotiate a settlement of your case if you agree.