Do I need an attorney for a first time misdemeanor larceny offense?

Greensboro, NC |
Filed under: Criminal defense

I made a huge mistake and lifted 3 items from a local, high end department store. It was my first and only time. I have no prior record (minus a speeding ticket 4 years ago) and the officer who issued the citation explained I should be eligible for deferred prosecution. I am freaked out and need help. I have set up 2 separate consultations with different lawyers. The second one I contacted was the one I used for my speeding ticket and is very well known within the community for success. Should I save myself the cash and defend myself? I have already given the store a statement and will obviously plead guilty. I want this over and off my record. I know I will have to do community svc and that is fine, I screwed up and now I will pay for it. I just need some sound advice. Thanks for the help

1. You can probably get a formal deferred prosecution on your own. I don't know the particulars of the county you were charged in, but often times, lawyers can do a bit better - a quicker dismissal, less community service, etc.

It depends on your priorities - most criminal attorneys offer free consultations so ask them and see what they say.

2. Save yourself a little cash now and pay for it, potentially, for the rest of your life... Get an attorney to help you get through this and open options for you that could save you a lifetime of employment rejections. Many states offer people like you a second chance but you have to know how to set yourself up for it. I am sure there are many able attorneys in your area and you can find more on AVVO. Do not overlook the option of a public defender either. Best of luck to you.

3. It is always better to have an attorney. The attorney is there to provide insight into a situation that is new to you. Deferred prosections are not to be taken lightly. You are required to do certain things and given deadlines for compliance. You plead guilty initially during a deferred and if you fail to comply you have a conviction. Also, an expungement should also be a concern if this is your first offense and you have never received an expungement. Please consult an attorney to make sure you have a full understanding of the situation and so you receive the Beat possible outcome. Good Luck!

4. Contact someone reputable and with experience. While it is possible, and even probable that you could get the deal without an attorney, it is not worth the risk that you end up at the wrong time with the wrong prospector or wrong judge. Feel free to contact our Greensboro office if you would like to speak with a local attorney about this. You will also need an attorney to get the expungement process going. www.NCLawyer.com