Do I need an attorney for a drug paraphernalia charge? And what is the likely result?

Asked 10 months ago - Houston, TX

I was caught on a University campus in Texas with drug paraphernalia (marijuana pipe). It's all been settled with the school, but I was issued a citation and have a court date coming up. I was just wondering what the likely outcome will be, and whether or not I will need an attorney. Money is really tight right now (I'm a broke college student and my family is having financial troubles), so if I can reduce the costs of this in any way that would be great. Also, this is the first time I've been in any trouble with the law.
Thanks!

1. Macy Michelle Jaggers

Pro

4

Answered . It's always best to have an attorney when possible. However, if you have to represent yourself, the most important thing is to make sure you receive a deferred disposition. This results in a dismissal and allows you to eventually expunge the case from your record completely.

2. Jared Seth Robinson

Pro

2

Answered . Mrs Jagger's is correct. However, hiring an attorney now, could be seen as an investment in your future.

My answers are not intended as anything more than an educational response to generic questions posted on this site.
  3. Gerald E. Smith

2

Answered . You would think police would have something better to do than issue tickets like this. I suggest that if want to carry papers like this than also carry a pouch of Bull Durham all the time. This is a Class C misdemeanor and subject to fine only or most like a 90-180 day deferral period and a $100.00 fee.

4. Sean Gregory Whittmore

Answered . Yes you should absolutely try to find an attorney. Many prosecutors in the Houston area don't offer deferred dispositions to people representing themselves unless they specifically ask for it, and even then may not offer it. If you want to try to beat the case, or get a deferred, you should hire an attorney.