Do I need an attorney at my hearing?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Waterford, MI

I am a full-time student in a career training course, and was initially denied benefits even though I qualified. The reason was determined as: Leaving my job to work for an employer who didn't give me full-time work. I appealed this because I am unable to work full-time because of full-time school. I was also open to work a full-time schedule at the new job until school began. Should I have an attorney with me at the hearing, or is my defense strong enough on its own? This is my first time filing for benefits. Thankyou.

1. Travis I. Dafoe

Pro

1

Answered . Based on the information you have provided, I am not convinced that you qualify. The law provides that you have to be looking for full-time employment to be eligible. It sounds as though you are not looking for full-time employment nor would you accept it. I think you should have someone look over it. The state also publishes a list of advocates (not always attorneys) who are provided if you would like.