Do I need an attorney?

Asked over 2 years ago - Oak Ridge, TN

I had a minor accident in the parking lot of the post office. We both backed out at the same time, and hit each other. I didn't know it but my stepmother had canceled my car insurance so I had no car insurance at the time of the accident. An hour or two later, I got my car insurance. Her bumper had a scratch, mine had a lot more damage. We exchanged info. I called her four times days after the incident. She said her car insurance would contact me. But they never did. I just got a letter from her insurance asking for money. I called them and said I was not paying anything it was not my fault, and that no one contacted me. I had a witness that approached me, I gave them her name and number. And I called the witness and told her to call them. What should I do?

Additional information

Also there was no police report. I have a witness, and she is calling then, as I gave the other persons insurance company the ONLY witness' information, and they never called her. How can they ask me for money when they never investigated it and never called, mailed, or emailed me asking me anything about it?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jeremiah Michael Hodges


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should definitely contact a lawyer. You can call a personal injury lawyer in your area for a recommendation. Some personal injury lawyers will defend people but will not work for an insurance company. I do this on occasion on an hourly basis. In any event, you need some help.

    Jeremiah M. Hodges

    No attorney client relationship can be formed prior to actual contact and review of your potential case including... more
  2. Jason Wade Barnette

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . In short, yes, you need an attorney. The other driver's insurance paid for damages to her vehicle under her uninsured motorist coverage. They are now seeking compensation from you.

    Depending on the insurance company, the amount of damages, and you're ability to pay, they may sue you for what they paid.

  3. Paul Michael Veillon

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you can afford to hire an attorney, do so. Insurance companies are tenacious in seeking reimbursement from people without insurance.

    A "mutual backing" incident is difficult to prove fault on either party, so an attorney who defends drivers and charges by the hour may be able to reduce or eliminate your obligation to the insurance company, get them to pay for some or all of your vehicle repair costs, or otherwise broker a settlement you can live with.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,989 answers this week

3,011 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,989 answers this week

3,011 attorneys answering