Skip to main content

Do I need an attorney?

Sacramento, CA |

Friend was driving and hit a woman. The authorities were not called upon the woman's request. 6 months have passed since then, and now the woman in suing my friend. She called me to tell me this and told me she called her insurance and gave my name as an eye witness. Should I be worried? I was in the passenger sit and it was her car and she was driving.

Attorney Answers 7

  1. Best answer

    Do not think you need one, but you can contact a local attorney to ease your nerves about it. Try the FIND A LAWYER tab on this website. They will be able to better advise you based on your specific facts. Many will speak to you initially for free. Good Luck!

    BEST ANSWER I got....and I hope I was HELPFUL! My answers do not establish an attorney/client relationship. Contact Steve Hamer at (214) 843-1529 for a FREE CONSULTATION.

  2. As a passenger, you have nothing to be concerned about except being subpoenaed to testify as a witness. Best of luck!

    Information posted or made available on or through the Site, including without limitation any responses to legal questions posted in Avvo Q&A, information provided in Avvo Legal Guides, and any other comments, opinions, recommendations, answers, analysis, references, referrals or legally related content or information (collectively "Legal Information") is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and any attorney. Such Legal Information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. It is not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely upon such Legal Information. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege.

  3. These can be stressful situations, but based on what you've written, you should not be liable for damages in the case and are only being identified as a witness. You may want to speak to local counsel in order to assure yourself that you are not being involved in any other way.

    Please note: This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy. * The Law Office of Eduardo A. Brito specializes in the areas of personal injury, professional malpractice, insurance disputes, and employment law and does so anywhere in the State of California.

  4. As Mr. Vargas said, you are likely going to be called as a witness to testify about the incident. The attorney assigned to defend your friend will be present when the plaintiff's attorney takes your deposition. You can have your own attorney for the deposition but under the circumstances it is not necessary.

    This information is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and any attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only.

  5. Don't be worried.

  6. I am of the old school where I advise every person that is going to be deposed to go in with his or her own lawyer. You do not want any surprises. Best of luck.

    This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. Abogado de Lesiones de Accidentes de Autos, provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Oakland Abogado Accidentes Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Accidentes de carros, Abogado de accidentes de Peatones, practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

  7. Just tell the truth and everything will be fine. If your deposition is scheduled I would be happy to explain how it works free of charge. I have offices in Sacramento & Elk Grove and would be glad to speak on the phone or in person in my office.

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics