Do I need an attorney?

Asked about 1 year ago - Sacramento, CA

Friend was driving and hit a woman. The authorities were not called upon the woman's request. 6 months have passed since then, and now the woman in suing my friend. She called me to tell me this and told me she called her insurance and gave my name as an eye witness. Should I be worried? I was in the passenger sit and it was her car and she was driving.

1. Fernando Davin Vargas

Pro

10

Answered . As a passenger, you have nothing to be concerned about except being subpoenaed to testify as a witness. Best of luck!

2. Eduardo A. Brito

10

Answered . These can be stressful situations, but based on what you've written, you should not be liable for damages in the case and are only being identified as a witness. You may want to speak to local counsel in order to assure yourself that you are not being involved in any other way.

3. Stephen Andrew Hamer

9

Best Answer

Answered . Do not think you need one, but you can contact a local attorney to ease your nerves about it. Try the FIND A LAWYER tab on this website. They will be able to better advise you based on your specific facts. Many will speak to you initially for free. Good Luck!

4. Mariam Mary Margaryan

9

Answered . As Mr. Vargas said, you are likely going to be called as a witness to testify about the incident. The attorney assigned to defend your friend will be present when the plaintiff's attorney takes your deposition. You can have your own attorney for the deposition but under the circumstances it is not necessary.

5. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

8

Answered . I am of the old school where I advise every person that is going to be deposed to go in with his or her own lawyer. You do not want any surprises. Best of luck.

Pro

9

Answered . Don't be worried.

7. Glenn Stephen Guenard

Pro

6

Answered . Just tell the truth and everything will be fine. If your deposition is scheduled I would be happy to explain how it works free of charge. I have offices in Sacramento & Elk Grove and would be glad to speak on the phone or in person in my office.