Do I need an attorney?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Arlington, VA

I was driving in to the covered parking at a Home Depot store and a piece of the roof fell and hit my back window and trunk. I feel very fortunate the metal did not come through the windshield. This is a new vehicle purchased in Oct 2012. I have gotten two estimates both around $2600. Now, the liability company for Home Depot wants to send out a third person to evaluate the damage.

1. David B Pittman

Pro

5

Answered . If you were injured then you need to consult a personal injury injury. If you just want your truck fixed, then the insurance company does have the right to inspect and appraise the vehicle prior to issuing payment.

2. Fareesh S. Sarangi

Pro

5

Answered . I don't think you need an attorney unless you have an injury. Hopefully you filed a report and documented this issue as soon as it happened with Home Depot. They will hopefully do the honorable thing and pay for the damage (they certainly have the right to inspect and verify the damage), and if they don't, you can always address the issue through small claims court. Good luck

3. Jason Bradley Pearl

4

Answered . I tend to agree with the advice thus far provided. If you were not injured by the falling debris, you can likely work out the repairs without the need for an attorney.

4. Jose Antonio Negroni

4

Answered . If you received no injury, then you likely won't need an attorney. The insurance carrier for Home Depot should be the one to repair the damage to your vehicle.

Pro

4

Answered . Allow them to inspect the vehicle.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  6. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

3

Answered . It is quite normal for the adverse party to have their adjuster examine the damage. Let the adjuster if you the damage and perhaps you should also provide him with copies of the 2 estimates that you have already received.

You have a right to have your vehicle repaired wherever you wish. See what the adverse party offers by way of compensation and use your 2 estimates if need be to negotiate a reasonable amount that is acceptable to you.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received. .

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.