Do I need an attorney?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Antonio, TX

Someone stole my checks out of my apartment mailbox, and are writing them all over town. I closed my bank account, notified several of the businesses where the checks were passed, and filed a police report. One of the businesses is sending me letters saying if I don't pay they will turn me over to the DA. Unfortunately, this person is now altering the account and routing number, but still using my name and address, and a fake DL. I am concerned because I am amidst an extensive background screen to take my nursing board exams in January. Can I be prosecuted if I have turned over what I have to the police and can this affect my background check?

1. Macy Michelle Jaggers

Pro

4

Answered . Filing a police report was the best thing you could do to protect yourself. That won't necessarily prevent anything from being filed ever, but it will help most potential cases get filtered out. And it will be an easy go-to defense if something is filed. I would keep copies of the police report handy to give to retailers that are trying to collect from you. You might also want to get letters on file with the major credit bureaus in an abundance of caution.

2. Gayle Anne-Marie Gutekunst

1

Answered . I can't imagine that you'd be prosecuted, but people in positions of authority never cease to amaze me.

Try starting here: https://www.oag.state.tx.us/consumer/identity_t...

This might also help: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idtheft2012/

I'm sorry this has happened to you. Good luck.

3. Frank Mascagni III

1

Answered . Consult with an attorney. Write all the businesses, copy the DA's office, make a written record to protect yourself. Write all the credit bureaus advising of the crimes and let your attorney protect you.