Do I need an attorney? Can I make payments as planned?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Golden, CO

Hi. I am the owner of a condo in St Louis, Mo. I live in Colorado. The HOA/board voted to repair the condo balconies/etc and sent me a notice in May that I owed $4000 for my share. They offered 3 months' installments. I let them know I was not in a position to pay that much and would make payments as soon as I could. They filed a lien against me last week. I let them know I could start making payments Oct 1 and would pay off the whole amount over time. Today I received a letter from their attorney for collections, wanting the full amount. What can I do? Thanks.

1. Stephen Clark Harkess

Pro

2

1

Answered . You should repost in Missouri as you want to have a lawyer in that state review your question.

In most cases, you can make payments, but until you get the lien paid off the HOA may move forward with enforcing the lien against the property and will usually add costs and attorneys fees to the amount you owe.

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

2

Answered . So sorry to read of this predicament. You need an attorney in Mizzou to review the terms of your HOA rules and bylasws to make sure they are in compliance with their own rules. if they are, you have some challenges and ought to try to strike a deal soon. If you don't, the price of doing business is only going to go up.

Best of luck!

3. Stephen M Trezza

Pro

2

Answered . Make a deal. They will compromise.