Do I need an attorney? Can I make payments as planned?

Golden, CO |

Hi. I am the owner of a condo in St Louis, Mo. I live in Colorado. The HOA/board voted to repair the condo balconies/etc and sent me a notice in May that I owed $4000 for my share. They offered 3 months' installments. I let them know I was not in a position to pay that much and would make payments as soon as I could. They filed a lien against me last week. I let them know I could start making payments Oct 1 and would pay off the whole amount over time. Today I received a letter from their attorney for collections, wanting the full amount. What can I do? Thanks.

1. You should repost in Missouri as you want to have a lawyer in that state review your question.

In most cases, you can make payments, but until you get the lien paid off the HOA may move forward with enforcing the lien against the property and will usually add costs and attorneys fees to the amount you owe.

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or info@Harkess-Salter.com. Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.

2. Make a deal. They will compromise.

This answer does not create an attorney client relationship between you and I. I am not your attorney unless we both sign a written contract that describes our relationship and terms of the representation. Any information provided to you here is not a substitute for the advice you need to pursue any legal matter. I advise you to retain the services of a local attorney before taking any legal action in this matter.

3. So sorry to read of this predicament. You need an attorney in Mizzou to review the terms of your HOA rules and bylasws to make sure they are in compliance with their own rules. if they are, you have some challenges and ought to try to strike a deal soon. If you don't, the price of doing business is only going to go up.

Best of luck!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.