Do I need an adoption or immigration attorney for independent (international) adoption?

Asked over 4 years ago - Newton, MA

I am filing for the adoption of a (foreign) child already legally in my care for over 3 years. I will enter the US with an Immigration visa (I-600 already filed). As I already have the child, I do not think I will need an adoption agency (homestudy completed) but wish to know whether I need to get an ADOPTION or IMMIGRATION Attorney for petitioning the court for the final adoption.
Thank you,

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . For information about immigration and adoption, please see

  2. Ekaette Patty-Anne Eddings

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Is the child in the US in your custody?

    How did the child enter the US?

    Have you already adopted the child? If so where is the country of adoption.

    Depends on the fact pattern.

    If you are adopting the child in the US you will need an adoption lawyer in your state.

    If the child is in a foreign country you must ensure there is a full and final adoption in that country especially with cases of child abduction so rampant worldwide.

    You will find useful information on the state department website and also information depending on whether the country is a signatory to the convention

    Some states now require immigration papers of the child prior to adoption.

    You are welcome to use the link provided below.


Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,355 answers this week

3,412 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,355 answers this week

3,412 attorneys answering