Do I need a wrongful termination lawyer?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Boston, MA

I am a female, 57 years old. I have been working for a Boston base company for 33 years. I am very dedicated to my job and well liked.
I lately went under drastic surgery, until then I seldom took a sick day or personal time. Until my new boss I had great reviews and evaluations and have a vast number of E-mails praising me for the great work I do and how impressed our clients are with the quality of work I produce (my boss said "thats not what they say behind your back")
I just got terminated for not measuring up to the company standards and their unwillingness to give me a second chance.
I believe I was terminated for a number of reasons none of it has to do with my performance.

1: They are importing most of the work I do to India.
2: Race issues
3: Age issues (on going tren
4: other

1. Djuna E Perkins

1

Answered . I am sorry to hear about your situation at work. Based on what you've said above, you may have a claim for discrimination against your employer on the basis of age and disability. It may also be possible that there is gender or race discrimination in your termination as well. You should talk to a lawyer as soon as possible to ensure you preserve your rights. In Massachusetts, you have 300 days to file suit against your employer for discrimination, and you must file your case first at the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination. I handle these types of cases all the time and would be happy to meet with you to discuss your claims. Please feel free to review my profile on Avvo, or on my firm's website, www.bhpklaw.com. Djuna Perkins (617) 880-7100.

2. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . As an at-will employee, you can quit at any time for any reason, you can be fired for any reason, a rotten reason, or no reason, except unlawful discrimination. If you do not have an employment contract or union to represent you, your recourse is limited. Discrimination based on age, gender, race, religious beliefs etc.... may give rise to a different answer.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "Workplace Discrimination: A Basis for Wrongful Termination Claims"

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/workplace-...

If you have a discrimination theory about retaliatory discharge or hostile workplace conditions you'll need a lawyer. Religious belief, age, gender, race etc. all are discriminatory reasons for which you cannot be legally fired and upon which you might base a wrongful termination suit.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "How to Choose a Lawyer for you.”

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/how-to-cho...

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "What Do I Tell My Lawyer"?

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/what-do-i-...

No one can know what the record is in the case because online we cannot find out any details. Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless. Best of luck to you.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the Thumbs-Up tab at the bottom. You may mark this as a Best Answer for the time I spent crafting this and thinking about your matter.

3. William Ira Corman

Answered . From the facts you described, you may have grounds to proceed with a discrimination action against the employer; the fact that you may have been an "at-will" employee is irrelevant. You should immediately contact an attorney in the Boston area who specializes in these case to discuss your situation. Good luck.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.