Do I need a work permit or need to pay taxes in MD to freelance if I am under 18?

Asked about 1 year ago - Mechanicsville, MD

I recently started making allot of money online designing apps and websites. My first question is do I have to pay taxes? I have made about $3000 now. My seconnd question is do I need a work permit? I never really work more than 48 hours total on a single job but when those hours happens is very different. The laws are mostly about when you work and because I freelance I do not really have a when. Just a due date that is usually about one week from the project start.

1. Tasnima Apol

1

1

Answered . Your question states that you are under 18. If you are a minor and you are not emancipated, you should talk to a lawyer about the ramifications of entering into contracts. Do you get work assignments from someone else? Or do you get the business for yourself? Depending on your answer, it may make sense for you to establish a small business entity. There are several issues here that a lawyer can help you with--many lawyers will give you a free consultation which will help you figure out where you stand and what your next step should be.

2. Matthew Adam Pek

1

Answered . My guess (not being familiar with MD statutes in particular), is that if it's anything like NY, you MUST apply for a CERTIFICATE OF AUTHORITY, either to collect SALES TAX, or SERVICE TAX, all for YOUR taxpaying purposes come year-end (April-15).

It's a start...