Do I need a work permit or need to pay taxes in MD to freelance if I am under 18?

Mechanicsville, MD |

I recently started making allot of money online designing apps and websites. My first question is do I have to pay taxes? I have made about $3000 now. My seconnd question is do I need a work permit? I never really work more than 48 hours total on a single job but when those hours happens is very different. The laws are mostly about when you work and because I freelance I do not really have a when. Just a due date that is usually about one week from the project start.

My guess (not being familiar with MD statutes in particular), is that if it's anything like NY, you MUST apply for a CERTIFICATE OF AUTHORITY, either to collect SALES TAX, or SERVICE TAX, all for YOUR taxpaying purposes come year-end (April-15).

It's a start...

Attention: This e-mail originates from the law firm of CARTER PEK, P.C. ("The Firm"). All information appearing herein is protected and regarded as confidential, and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s) indicated above. Be advised that if the reader of this message is not in fact the intended recipient, notice is hereby given that any dissemination, distribution and/or copying of this message is strictly prohibited and punishable by law. If you have received this message in error, kindly reply to sender forthwith, and destroy and purge any and all copies of such message, whether in paper, digital or other media format. If you are not an existing client of The Firm, do not construe anything in this message to cause you to become a client of The Firm, unless it contains a specific statement to that effect, and refrain from disclosing any sensitive information in which you have an expectation of privacy and/or confidence if sending a reply. contains a specific statement to that effect, and be careful not to disclose any sensitive information in reply that you expect to hold in confidence. If you are the intended recipient hereof and are a client, co-counsel or retained expert of The Firm, be mindful to maintain its contents in strict confidence in order to preserve any and all privileges, including the attorney-client and/or work product privileges that may apply. Thank you. IRC 230 Disclosure: In accordance with Internal Revenue Code 230, The Firm hereby advises you that, unless otherwise expressly stated, any reference made to or discussion of a federal tax issue contained in this message, or in any attachment(s) hereto, are neither intended nor permitted to be used for purposes of avoiding federal tax penalties.

Your question states that you are under 18. If you are a minor and you are not emancipated, you should talk to a lawyer about the ramifications of entering into contracts. Do you get work assignments from someone else? Or do you get the business for yourself? Depending on your answer, it may make sense for you to establish a small business entity. There are several issues here that a lawyer can help you with--many lawyers will give you a free consultation which will help you figure out where you stand and what your next step should be.

I get the jobs for myself. I use a website called elance.com and submit proposals for how much it will cost them for the job.

Tasnima Apol

Tasnima Apol

And yes, you will have to pay taxes. Send me an email or give me a ring if I can help you further. Tasnima Apol, Esq. Apol Law, LLC 443-333-9230 tapol@apollaw.com Mailing Address: 3123 Riva Rd. #172 Riva, MD 21140 Office Address: 1910 Towne Centre Blvd., Suite 250 Annapolis, MD 21401 CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email is confidential and may be protected under the attorney-client privilege, the attorney's work product doctrine or other law. If you are not the intended recipient, please advise Apol Law, LLC immediately by reply email, make no use of this communication, and delete this message.

Tasnima Apol

Tasnima Apol

Thanks for the link. While I've heard of web sites like this, I had never seen this one before. How old are you? Tasnima Apol, Esq. Apol Law, LLC 443-333-9230 tapol@apollaw.com Mailing Address: 3123 Riva Rd. #172 Riva, MD 21140 Office Address: 1910 Towne Centre Blvd., Suite 250 Annapolis, MD 21401 CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email is confidential and may be protected under the attorney-client privilege, the attorney's work product doctrine or other law. If you are not the intended recipient, please advise Apol Law, LLC immediately by reply email, make no use of this communication, and delete this message.

I just turned 15.