DO I NEED A WILL IF I HAVE POWER OF ATTORNEY OVER MY MOM'S ESTATE?

Asked about 1 year ago - King George, VA

I have a sell as home that a company wants to buy but when I went to closing the company wanted to know if their was a will. Why would they want a will if I have power of attorney if my parent's both are deceased

1. Rixon Charles Rafter III

10

Answered . A durable POA is only valid during lifetime if the person granting the power. When the granting party passes, so to does a durable power of attorney. You need to consult with an attorney to determine what you do and don't have.

2. Donna R Blaustein

9

Answered . The power of attorney ended at death. If there was a will, that would determine who now owns the home. If there was no will, the ownership of the home would be determined under the intestate (no will) laws of the state. Either way, a probate court will need to enter an order. You need to hire an attorney to assist you.

3. Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

8

1

Answered . As noted by counsel, a power of attorney dies with the person who executed it. It is highly likely that the property is part of one or both of your parents' estates (depending on titling) so you will need a probate court procedure in order to transfer it. Please retain an experienced estate administration attorney to provide assistance. Good luck to you.

4. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

6

Answered . POA is void upon death.
    Probating of the will is necessary for you to have legal authority
    to sell home.

5. Evan H Farr

Pro

4

Answered . A power if attorney terminates upon the death of the person who signed te Power of Attorney. A Will might be relevant depending on how the house was titled and what the Will says. However, a Will is not typically necessary to transfer real estate after death in Virginia. If your parents both died without a Will, then the real estate probably passed to the heirs at law of the second-to-die spouse. If that is the case, you will need to contact the probate office in the Circuit Court of the County or City of death (or the County or City where the real estate is located) and file a Real Estate Affidavit / List of Heirs. This document, once recorded in the probate office, will establish who owns the property and therefore who has the right to sell it.

6. V. Jonas Urba

Pro

5

Answered . All of the attorneys who have answered your question are correct.