Do I need a wholesale re seller licence to export goods from US.

Saint Paul, MN |

I live in CA, and I am intending to purchase some electronic goods in bulk and send it to India. Can anyone please tell me what my legal obligations are here. Do I need a reseller license, or an export license. What is the easiest way to do this. I thought this would be easy, but now it seems much complicated that what I thought if I try to do it the proper way. Any help or directions would be greatly appreciated. If you could provide me any websites with detail information that would be a big help. Thanks.

I am just trying to buy the product in bulk from the manufacturer, but they are asking me for the re seller license. And not selling to me in bulk without the license. But if I do the re seller license I have to file for EIN and Federal Employer tax id, but I am not selling the products here, so why do I need those as I do not see any need for them.

Are you asking about CA sales, or MN sales? Your question was posted in MN.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

You are asking a complex question. This is not something that you can solve easily. You can gather some information here on Avvo but you need to hire an attorney with experience in international trade. And you also need to have a budget for this. We advice client on international business and trade. Feel free to contact my office. Best.

This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the undisclosed individual asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. Responses are based solely on New York Law unless stated otherwise. Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice contained in this written or electronic communication is not intended or written to be used and it cannot be used by any person or entity for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service or any other U.S. Federal taxing authority or agency or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

You are definitely going to need to speak with an attorney about this. In addition to an attorney handling international business and trade matters, you will also want to speak with a Customs Attorney (not a broker) about U.S. and Indian customs laws. Import and Export (customs) regulations for commercial purposes are far more complex than for personal use.

I recommend Damon Pike here in Atlanta:

No information contained in this message, unless expressly denoted therefor, is intended to establish any attorney client relationship. No attorney-client relationship exists between us (Peter Acker and his associates and you) unless a written retainer or fee agreement has been signed and issued to you.

Recommended articles about Immigration