Do I need a wholesale re seller licence to export goods from US.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Saint Paul, MN

I live in CA, and I am intending to purchase some electronic goods in bulk and send it to India. Can anyone please tell me what my legal obligations are here. Do I need a reseller license, or an export license. What is the easiest way to do this. I thought this would be easy, but now it seems much complicated that what I thought if I try to do it the proper way. Any help or directions would be greatly appreciated. If you could provide me any websites with detail information that would be a big help. Thanks.

Additional information

I am just trying to buy the product in bulk from the manufacturer, but they are asking me for the re seller license. And not selling to me in bulk without the license. But if I do the re seller license I have to file for EIN and Federal Employer tax id, but I am not selling the products here, so why do I need those as I do not see any need for them.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Luca Cristiano Maria Melchionna

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You are asking a complex question. This is not something that you can solve easily. You can gather some information here on Avvo but you need to hire an attorney with experience in international trade. And you also need to have a budget for this. We advice client on international business and trade. Feel free to contact my office. Best.

    This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given... more
  2. Peter Hills Acker

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You are definitely going to need to speak with an attorney about this. In addition to an attorney handling international business and trade matters, you will also want to speak with a Customs Attorney (not a broker) about U.S. and Indian customs laws. Import and Export (customs) regulations for commercial purposes are far more complex than for personal use.

    I recommend Damon Pike here in Atlanta:

    No information contained in this message, unless expressly denoted therefor, is intended to establish any attorney... more
  3. Pamela Koslyn

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Are you asking about CA sales, or MN sales? Your question was posted in MN.

    Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,393 answers this week

3,005 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,393 answers this week

3,005 attorneys answering