Do I need a waiver?

New York, NY |

I was just wondering if there is a waiver required to reenter the US after having been removed ten years ago? I was removed in absentia and have waited out my ten years and am planning on travelling back on a Canadian passport. Do I need a waiver or am I able to return freely? Also, I was 14 at the time of removal if that matters. Please let me know. Thank you.

It depends on the reason for your removal. I suggest you consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

Contact attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.

You most likely do not need a waiver anymore unless the immigration charges against you were so severe that they cannot be overcome by the time that has passed.

My colleagues are correct. You may still need a waiver and you may have more than a 10 year bar.

Consult with an immigration lawyer, many of us use Skype.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

I agree with my colleagues. I have had cases where 10 years passed and the person still required a waiver. Possibly not in your case as you indicate you were 14. The removal order would have to be disclosed.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

It depends... Each case is fact specific. I would suggest a consultation with an U.S. immigration attorney before proceeding further.

This response in no way establishes attorney/client privilege or relationship.

Recommended articles about Immigration