Do I need a waiver?

New York, NY |

Hello,

I was just wondering if there is a waiver required to reenter the US after having been removed ten years ago? I was removed in absentia and have waited out my ten years and am planning on travelling back on a Canadian passport. Do I need a waiver or am I able to return freely? Also, I was 14 at the time of removal if that matters. Please let me know. Thank you.

1. It depends on the reason for your removal. I suggest you consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

Contact attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.

2. You most likely do not need a waiver anymore unless the immigration charges against you were so severe that they cannot be overcome by the time that has passed.

3. My colleagues are correct. You may still need a waiver and you may have more than a 10 year bar.

Consult with an immigration lawyer, many of us use Skype.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

4. I agree with my colleagues. I have had cases where 10 years passed and the person still required a waiver. Possibly not in your case as you indicate you were 14. The removal order would have to be disclosed.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

5. It depends... Each case is fact specific. I would suggest a consultation with an U.S. immigration attorney before proceeding further.

This response in no way establishes attorney/client privilege or relationship.