Do i need a u visa certification to apply for a u visa?

Stone Mountain, GA |
Filed under: U visa

i am a victim of domestic violence, trying to apply for a u visa, but i do not have a u visa certification. the criminal case is still on going. can i go ahead and apply for a u visa while waiting for the u visa certification?

You can apply for the U visa as long as the law enforcement agency completes their supplement even if the case is still ongoing. As long as you cooperated with them and they are willing to certify this you should be eligible. You should contact a good attorney to help you with this.

I agree with my colleague

I agree, even if the criminal case is ongoing, as long as you can get a certification indicating that you have been "helpful" in the investigation, you will be fine. Consult an experienced immigration attorney on this.

Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.

Recommended articles about Immigration