Skip to main content

Do I need a tax evasion type lawyer?

Adams, OR |

I'm being audited this Friday by the irs. We shut down the company in 2010 due to our banking situation. We were still owed over 1.3 million dollars. Our corporation was on accrual basis and we were subject to taxes on AR even though we didn't receive any payments. We then asked irs if we could change from accrual to cash basis and take the loss instead of paying taxes on money we didn't receive. The granted the request and after we amended 2009 tax year we both received audit notices from irs.
In 2011 my ex partner wrote me a check for $40,000 which was part of an accounts receivable from 2009. My partner assured me that taxes for the money's received we're paid to the irs. I found out last Friday that he didn't declare the monies to the irs. Is it best to tell irs upfront ?

Attorney Answers 3


You should hire either an attorney, a CPA, or a reputable enrolled agent and you should do that as soon as possible to give them at least some time to look over the audit paperwork and your tax records before the audit. It may be easiest to start by contacting your tax preparer for the year in questions and proceed depending on the feedback you get from them.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

5 lawyers agree


The best thing for you to do is to hire an expreienced CPA in Adams, Oregon to represent you in the audit. The first thing you should do is call the revenue agent and tell him or her that you need a one month postponement to get the CPA ready for the meeting.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

6 lawyers agree


I agree with my esteemed colleagues. I would hire the best CPA that you could find and then get a referral from the CPA about a good tax attorney.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

4 lawyers agree

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics