Skip to main content

Do I need a tax attorney for a $61,000 tax bill from the IRS?

Morristown, NJ |
Filed under: Debt

Thank you for reading this message. I feel this website has given me life altering advice. I am writing tonight to see about tax law. I believe I need a qualified tax attorney that won't charge an arm and a leg. I have a $61K bill that I just received in the mail. Lovely. Totally impossible, since I'm bipolar, unemployed and owe health bills up the wazoo. I was also discriminated against because I'm bipolar and got fired in the workplace and have been recently denied unemployment insurance. At this point, I don't want to ask my husband who makes an honest living for this money. We simply don't have it. Please help. I've worked for 15+ yrs as a USA citizen. Any help at all is appreciated. What are my rights?

Attorney Answers 7

  1. Best answer

    The IRS recently created a Fresh Start program allowing those who bring their tax liability below $50k to enter a streamlined plan of about $700 per month. You also might be able to settle the debt for a small lump sum. This all depends on your household income and whether you file joint or separate with your husband. Is be happy to discuss with you in greater detail.

  2. Well 1st of all, any employment rights you have are completely separate from any tax issues you've got for presumably that income.

    So maybe you need to see not just a tax lawyer (obviously) but also an employment litigator. If you really were discriminated against (there are no facts, just your own conclusions in this query), you've only got a limited claim to file an administrative claim, which is prerequisite to a lawsuit.

    So stop using this great website, life altering though it may be, and hire your own lawyer without further delay. If you don't have friends or family who can give you a personal referral to some lawyer they've hired for a similar situation, then check out their website, use your state bar's bar association, use Avo's "Find a Lawyer" page, or do an internet search, and interview several lawyers and get a written fee agreement before hiring anyone.

    Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

  3. An experienced attorney who understands the law regarding IRS Offers in Compromise, Payment Plans, Bankruptcy, and Statute of Limitations issues can be very valuable. You should at least speak to a local New Jersey Tax Attorney and ask what he or she believes the best plan to deal with the debt should be, before proceeding on your own.

    Please do not rely on solely on answers you receive from attorneys on Avvo. Visit local counsel.

  4. It is always better to have representation than to try to deal with a case pro se.

    This answer is made for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party, any partnership, investment plan, arrangement, legal structure or other transaction addressed herein.

  5. Wow...that is definitely a large tax bill! I recommend hiring a tax attorney as soon as possible to help you figure out the best plan of attack. f you don't contest it, you will certainly owe it to the government still and it will never go away. An attorney can help you to figure out if you truly owe that amount of money, help you contest it if it's incorrect, and help you to figure out the best method for resolving this matter whether it involves payment or not. Good luck!

    FOR CONSULTATION on IMMIGRATION or FAMILY LAW MATTERS Contact: Law Offices of Jennifer L. Bennett, 312.972.7969,, 3806 W. Irving Park Road, Suite B, Chicago, IL 60618. The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advice specific to your situation and/or case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo are only general in nature; specific answers require knowledge of all facts.

  6. Yes, you should hire a tax attorney! A good attorney will be WELL WORTH their expense. There are many options available to you which should be assessed and a plan of action developed.

    Andrew B. Gordon , Esq., CPA
    Gordon Law Group, Ltd.
    847.580.1279 |

    Andrew B Gordon is a CPA and attorney licensed to practice law in Illinois. The information provided here is for educational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice for a particular matter. This response does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult an attorney.

  7. you may need 2 lawyers. You definitely need an attorney to represent you before the IRS. You may need another attorney for the discrimination claim. Both areas of law are very specialized. Good luck and don't delay.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics