Do I need a tax attorney for a $61,000 tax bill from the IRS?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Morristown, NJ

Thank you for reading this message. I feel this website has given me life altering advice. I am writing tonight to see about tax law. I believe I need a qualified tax attorney that won't charge an arm and a leg. I have a $61K bill that I just received in the mail. Lovely. Totally impossible, since I'm bipolar, unemployed and owe health bills up the wazoo. I was also discriminated against because I'm bipolar and got fired in the workplace and have been recently denied unemployment insurance. At this point, I don't want to ask my husband who makes an honest living for this money. We simply don't have it. Please help. I've worked for 15+ yrs as a USA citizen. Any help at all is appreciated. What are my rights?

1. John P Fazzio III

Pro

6

1

Best Answer

Answered . The IRS recently created a Fresh Start program allowing those who bring their tax liability below $50k to enter a streamlined plan of about $700 per month. You also might be able to settle the debt for a small lump sum. This all depends on your household income and whether you file joint or separate with your husband. Is be happy to discuss with you in greater detail.

2. Michael S Anderson

10

Answered . An experienced attorney who understands the law regarding IRS Offers in Compromise, Payment Plans, Bankruptcy, and Statute of Limitations issues can be very valuable. You should at least speak to a local New Jersey Tax Attorney and ask what he or she believes the best plan to deal with the debt should be, before proceeding on your own.

Please do not rely on solely on answers you receive from attorneys on Avvo. Visit local counsel.
  3. Richard Albert Luthmann

Pro

6

1

Answered . It is always better to have representation than to try to deal with a case pro se.

4. Pamela Koslyn

7

1

Answered . Well 1st of all, any employment rights you have are completely separate from any tax issues you've got for presumably that income.

So maybe you need to see not just a tax lawyer (obviously) but also an employment litigator. If you really were discriminated against (there are no facts, just your own conclusions in this query), you've only got a limited claim to file an administrative claim, which is prerequisite to a lawsuit.

So stop using this great website, life altering though it may be, and hire your own lawyer without further delay. If you don't have friends or family who can give you a personal referral to some lawyer they've hired for a similar situation, then check out their website, use your state bar's bar association, use Avo's "Find a Lawyer" page, or do an internet search, and interview several lawyers and get a written fee agreement before hiring anyone.

5. Jennifer Lynn Bennett

7

1

Answered . Wow...that is definitely a large tax bill! I recommend hiring a tax attorney as soon as possible to help you figure out the best plan of attack. f you don't contest it, you will certainly owe it to the government still and it will never go away. An attorney can help you to figure out if you truly owe that amount of money, help you contest it if it's incorrect, and help you to figure out the best method for resolving this matter whether it involves payment or not. Good luck!

6. Andrew B Gordon

Pro

3

1

Answered . Yes, you should hire a tax attorney! A good attorney will be WELL WORTH their expense. There are many options available to you which should be assessed and a plan of action developed.

Andrew B. Gordon , Esq., CPA
    Gordon Law Group, Ltd.
    847.580.1279 | ABG@GordonLawLtd.com
    www.GordonLawLtd.com

7. Patrick Cornelius Cotter

3

Answered . you may need 2 lawyers. You definitely need an attorney to represent you before the IRS. You may need another attorney for the discrimination claim. Both areas of law are very specialized. Good luck and don't delay.