Do I need a tax attorney? IRS Audit indicates huge back taxes resulting from debt forgiveness on short-sale.

Asked over 1 year ago - Sacramento, CA

We were forced to move for work and couldn't sell the house. As such, we rented it for 9 months in order to avoid forclosure. Taxes were prepared by HRB and they've been working with IRS. They have not yet "appealed", but I would like to know if its time to cut them loose and hire a tax attorney. Thanks in advance.

Per the first reply (thanks!), I thought it prudent to indicate that the HRB reprentative is an EA. His services came as a result of HRB's Audit Defense protection.

1. Phillip Monroe Smith

6

1

Answered . You probably need to a have professional review your tax returns and audit notices, and determine if you are being properly represented.

Good luck!
    Phillip M. Smith Jr.
    Los Angeles Tax & Business Attorney
    Licensed in the United States Tax Court
    www.culvercitytaxandbusinesslaw.com
    www.corporateattorney.com
    www.worlclasslawyers.com

2. Andrew B Gordon

Pro

5

1

Answered . You should really hire a competent tax attorney who is experienced in audits and appeals. Often accountants are ill equipped to handle tax controversies. A competent attorney can be well worth the price. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Andrew B Gordon, Esq., CPA
    Www.ILtaxattorney.com

3. Henry Daniel Lively

3

1

Answered . Most tax services are ill equipped to handle your tax controversy matter and are in a conflict of interest with you to begin with. Hire a competent tax attorney to represent you or at least review what has been done already. It will be well worth the money spent.

Call me if you would like a free consultation to review your situation or just talk about this further.