Skip to main content

Do I need a real estate license for this?

Paxton, IL |

My question is do I need a real estate license for connecting to parties. So selling contact information. For example - I see that someone is looking for a home to rent. I know someone who is renting out their home. I approach the potential buyer and explain that I know of a property that is exactly what they are looking for. I can connect them with the seller for a small fee. Since the fee is not dependent on the sale of the house I wouldn't need a license right? Also what exactly does a real estate consultant do?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. You need a license. Go to real estate school You will learn a lot, have access to more buyers and sellers, and probably be more successful that trying to play buyer-seller matchmaker.

  2. No question, you need a real estate license. You might start your new career by reading the Illinois Real Estate License Act. It will answer this question, and many more. Good luck.

    By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.

  3. If you pass the test, it is easy, the fee to be a real estate broker is little. You don't have to join any associations unless you want to. You have to take classes to keep your license.keep