Do I need a Real Estate Lawyer?

Asked over 1 year ago - Cleveland Heights, OH

My parents own a house in Cleveland Heights that I pay all expenses for. They would like to do a contract for deed with me to put everything in my name so they don't have to deal with it anymore. The contract seems simple enough but I'm unsure of what needs to be filed where in order for everything to get properly recorded not to mention we are both out of state. How complicated is this really and what kind of time (expense) am I looking at?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. David Jay Sternberg

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes, you should consult with an attorney. Both you and your parents need to make sure you accomplish what you intended. From what little facts you have given it does not appear to be a complex matter and must attorneys will give you a flat fee before doing the work.

    Attorney Sternberg is admitted to the practice of law only in the State of Ohio. His answering of this question... more
  2. James Thomas Dixon

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . From what you say, this could be very simple, but more information is needed. For example, are you paying them anything for the house? Feel free to contact me.

    This response does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.
  3. Michael T Millar


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes, you should retain a real estate attorney.

    It is impossible to estimate how much the work will cost.

    You should consult several attorneys to determine what it might cost and what must be done.

    If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,144 answers this week

3,137 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,144 answers this week

3,137 attorneys answering